Official Reef Re-opening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The official word came from the Marine Park today.

All reefs will re-open this Sunday, December 15, 2019 FOR LICENSED PERMIT HOLDERS.

Cielo will remain closed until March 31, 2020 and at that time will be re-evaluated. This has to do with the environmental connection between the mangroves, lagoon zone and the reefs. They believe that allowing this area a longer cycle without disruption, the flow of environmental benefits will be promoted, such as better water quality and the recruitment of fry and larvae from this hatchery area to the surrounding reefs.

Beginning April 1, 2020, a rotation will be put in place for isolated reef closures.

Columbia, Palancar Caves and Palancar Bricks will close again during August and September as this is the time of year for coral reproduction.

Biological monitoring, studies and research will be ongoing.

Additionally, the marine park is issuing special flags for boats who have legal permits. These flags will be distributed tomorrow and will help tourists and authorities alike to identify permit holders. These flags will have the actual permit numbers on them. It's a step in the right direction. I'll try to post a picture of what these flags look like.

DISCLAIMER: This is a translation (by me a fluent Spanish speaker, not by Google) of the official statement announced by the marine park today. This is all anyone knows. I am providing this as information, not for debate and not to answer more questions. This is all myself or most anyone else knows - so I will not be fielding questions or attacks on the marine park or local authorities. Anything outside of this announcement should be considered hearsay and speculation. I trust that the biologists and scientists involved have a big picture plan and long term goals.

The rotating closures should be publicly posted so people can plan around them.

Christmas comes early to Cozumel.... Dive, Dive, Dive !!

And yet hotels still pump Sh*t into the underground aquifers that pour/dump into the ocean IN the reef zone.

The Cruise ships still blow out ballast and brown water with no restrictions.

And I guraentee NOTHING has changed the affects of the SCTLD attacking the reefs other than it killing more and more.

Oh and swim throughs - which pretty much kill ALL CORAL IN THE SWIM THROUGH - are not outlawed.......

Sounds like only good thing to come of this is the flags. Now if someone had the power to enforce the rules on the illegal boats?

And yet hotels still pump Sh*t into the underground aquifers that pour/dump into the ocean IN the reef zone.

The Cruise ships still blow out ballast and brown water with no restrictions.

And I guraentee NOTHING has changed the affects of the SCTLD attacking the reefs other than it killing more and more.

Oh and swim throughs - which pretty much kill ALL CORAL IN THE SWIM THROUGH - are not outlawed.......

Sounds like only good thing to come of this is the flags. Now if someone had the power to enforce the rules on the illegal boats?

Agree with you on the big resorts and cruise ships. The flags are part of the illegal boat enforcement, PROFEPA is here now and they have the authority to enforce.

Closing the reefs was HOW we got PROFEPA here because the MP had to declare a state of emergency and take action to get the attention of the powers that be to get the authorities here that we needed! Closing the reefs was not an expectation that the reefs would "heal" in that short time frame.

Again, please try to avoid jumping to unknown conclusions and speculations. I provided the information that is relevant to the general public and tourists. To relay everything that goes on behind the scenes would be impossible and inappropriate.

Other than reducing the number of boats and increasing business for existing operators, exactly what has been accomplished here? I realize someone is going to say too many divers, but that is relative.

If the goal was to stop fish poaching, now we are talking.

To me however, this is mixed because they added another closed period. Which is fine if they are announced but, now that they have done this once and added a second time, its clear they view this as not a big deal. I suspect we may see these become more frequent.

What happens when PROFEPA cant support it for a month because someone wants a holiday? Close the reef? What if their boat breaks down? Close the reef?

I already went once with the MP closed and I'm not going again unless its open.

Additionally, the marine park is issuing special flags for boats who have legal permits.
Seriously?

"Master has given Dobby a cloth!
Master has presented Dobby with a flag! The reefs are saved!."

I mean, it's not like the boats have registration numbers painted on the bow, or anything.

This is really sad. Counterfeit flags will available within a day. Unless and until CONANP or the Navy or whatever enforcement authority that is given jurisdiction has the resources to enforce the rules, they may as well hand out white flags. And if/when they get the resources, all they need is a decent set of binoculars.

Sorry, Christi, this isn't directed against you, I know you're just the messenger, and I appreciate your efforts to keep everyone informed, no matter how impotent the plans are.

Argue all ye wants....me, I’m going to Splash on the 15th:nyah:

Until the counterfeit flags start showing up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom