Offensive Marine Animal Names

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
There are some marine animal names which are funnier than others, and in times of easily taken offense, probably offensive to some!

New blog post making fun of them.

Should the "slippery dick" wrasse be renamed, or should a trigger warning be added to its common name?
Can parody always be distinguished from the real world in 2021?

Please do.

My father was a wildlife biologist. One of his colleagues who was an entomologist discovered a new insect. His colleague's first name was Richard but like many went by Dick. As part of the documentation he prepared several samples of the insects and was having labels typed up for the specimen jars. My father seeing the note for the typist decided that the insect needed a more appropriate common name and changed it. The typist was none the wiser went up typing up the labels and putting them on each of the specimen jars. They were about to be sent out when the new name was discovered to be the "Dirty Dicky Bug." The office crew got a good chuckle out of that. Of course that was nothing compared to the time someone put deer pellets in the candy dish.

Nudibranch, get rid of the lot of them

There were a couple of tropical aquarium fish when I was young that went through name changes as over the years. Having trouble thing of any. The Bobbit worm would definitely be a candidate for new name.

It's not the name of an animal, but there is a reproductive technique called the "Sneaky Fu cker" used by a few fish species. The non-alpha male is able to disguise itself and look like a female. He is able to get close to the female without drawing attention. Then when she drops her eggs while the alpha male is doing whatever wooing or showing off that fish do, the Sneaky Fu cker jets in and fertilizes the eggs intended for the alpha male.

It's not the name of an animal, but there is a reproductive technique called the "Sneaky Fu cker" used by a few fish species. The non-alpha male is able to disguise itself and look like a female. He is able to get close to the female without drawing attention. Then when she drops her eggs while the alpha male is doing whatever wooing or showing off that fish do, the Sneaky Fu cker jets in and fertilizes the eggs intended for the alpha male.
Indeed very sneaky behavior. As it turns out, I am presently working on a scientific paper about this very topic. The behavior happens in cuttlefish and squid too, interestingly.

Back
Top Bottom