Off to Koh Tao and DM course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aum

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi again as I've been out of contact with the board for a while (equal parts lazy and busy) and also to say I'll be writing next from Koh Tao. I leave on March 3rd and will be living, relaxing, and starting my DM course there around April. I'm calling it a 'working holiday'. :) I just have to be careful that its more 'working' and not too much 'holiday'. :wink:

If anyone is thinking of going to that area anytime in the next 5-6 months then by all means, swing by and say hello! Can drop me a PM and we can get in touch through email.

Take care all,

Arch (Aum)

couple of my mates from scotland are out that way now, they're not divers but thinking of giving it a try, lucky buggers, they say the weather is damn good.. certainly better than Edinburgh just now with the snow!

I'll be in Koh Tao about April -my girlfriend will be doing her DMT too.
I did my own DM on Koh Tao in 2002 -and would reccomend Bans as a good choice, they only use their own DMs for guides as a rule and they get more customers than anyone else so it makes sense to go with them. -Speak to Jonas who is usually to be found at their base on Sairee beach.
Second choice would be Buddha View if you don't fancy Bans -or Dive Point who arguably have the best boat on the island (it leaves earlier than the others for Chumpon Pinnacle so you get to see the sharks before it gets too crowded)
Phil TK

I :heart: KT! Many of my friends went with BV for DMT and Instructor courses and loved it. Plus, it has the benefit of not being on Sairee Beach, which is a bit more crowded and dirty. I'm thinking about going back in May do to my rescue...

If you haven't been there before: zest coffee shop, all the way.

Try checking out Crystal if Bans or Buddha are a littel too over crowded. A medium to big school with three decent boats including a new speedboat that goes to Sail Rock all the time. Excellent instructors as well as brand new equipment and first class facilities including a wicked swimming pool.The DMT program there is really well structured they have a wicked social scene going on. Even if your pretty sure go and have a chat with Matt the manager there. I'm heading back there in 3 months to do my IDC with Matt.

Argh...grr. I spent quite a lot of time on my last visit to Tao and also talking to people about my choice of school to do my DMT at. LOL. Now you've all gone and put the cat amongst the pidgeons again. :) I know the decision should be based on the qualifications of the school and the type of training and experience they can offer me. And a host of other important factors. But I also can't help but be influenced by the 'people' factor when making this decision. At the time I guess I got a better feeling, plus balancing that with the factors above about SIDS-Planet Scuba. I have heard some very good things about them.

I gotta admit that its hard to make a decision about this when there are so many opinions for and against the different schools by so many different people. Plus my own thoughts and considerations to take into account. I'm still on Samu atm, but once I get to Tao in the next couple of days I will certainly re-check the schools, and re-examine which will be the better school for me.

To be honest I'm not sure how keen I am to be part of a huge 'numbers' school where they cram them in and cram them out. Customers and trainees alike. If this is untrue or an unfair conception about the schools some of you have mentioned then I apologize. But then I still need to consider the very factors that make these schools so large. There's obviously a reason they are so large that justifies having another look at all these schools before I commit myself.

If you can offer any other advice or opinions on Planet Scuba or any of the other schools that have been mentioned also, then I'm certainly still interested in hearing them. The final decision hasn't been made yet so I'm still keen to get as much infomation as I possibly can.

Thanks in advance,

Arch

I never did any course on Koh Tao but when I go there, I tend to prefer Bans. They are big but they also have one of the biggest boats around so it is a bit more comfortable. On the boat, there usually are a few different groups of divers, OW, AOW, fun divers and whatever other training class they have at the time. Each group do spread out and do their own things, briefing about the course, DM introducing themselves to fun dive group etc. Usually there are plenty of room to spread out. I have been on Planet Scuba boat which was much smaller and felt more crowded even with quite a few less divers around. Once we get to dive site, each group will get into water at staggered time so there is no confusion, no rush or anything. It is not as if 30 people are trying to gear up and jump off at the same time. Most classes have reasonable number of students per instructor and not excessive, they just have many classes going at the same time so they seem crowded but you should still be able to get adequate personal attention in your training, I would think. All in all, I think they are very well organized and very professional. The instructors that I met all seemed very professional and competent.
One of my dive buddy did a rescue course with Crystal and liked them a lot. I dove with Planet Scuba once and did not like their facility too much.
Some of my dive buddies have better experience with SIDS/Planet Scuba on Koh Samui than on Koh Tao.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the dive operators mentioned so far on this thread, just whoever that you feel you can get along with the best.

Well, after finally getting to Koh Tao after having a tad too long holiday than originally planned, I went and had a chat with some of the other schools that people mentioned here. I must say, after speaking with Matt at Crystal, and seeing the facilities and how they structure the DMT course, I think I've found my dive school. Was very pleased with the whole setup, the pool, how they conduct their courses, plus some of the guys and girls there have helped me a lot with getting my monthly rental place organized and a motorcycle and so on. They all seem quite friendly and helpful.

As there wasn't too large a gap between the quality of instruction and facilities between some of these schools, it was coming down to the people and who I felt more comfortable with. And it looks like it's going to be Crystal Divers. Thanks all for the advice and suggestions, and I will keep you informed.

Arch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom