Off the Wall, Glover’s Reef Atoll, March 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Reporting back on our March 23-30 stay at Off the Wall, Long Caye, Glover’s Reef Atoll.

I wanted safe, professional valet diving, pretty fish and corals, short daily rides, comfort without expensive luxury, and an atmosphere that encouraged camaraderie. Thanks to guidance from this board, I got my wishes.

First, the diving. Very good, for the Caribbean. The topography has excellent variety, maybe not quite as spectacular as Cozumel but there are walls, swimthroughs, spur and groove formations, coral heads and shallow gardens. There was algae but overall decent healthy hard and soft corals, sponges and gorgonians. All the usual fish suspects, including some fine schools, possibly not the very fishiest density overall. We would see a couple of lion fish each dive, rather large and not bothering to hide. We saw a turtle (loggerhead) twice, eagle rays and morays a few times, sharks much more often, lobsters every dive, and once, wow, dolphins. Lovely snorkelling from shore or kayaks anytime and on boat excursions first and last day.

In calm weather, it took 75-90 minutes to cross from and to Dangriga. After that, boat rides to the dive sites were 5 minutes or so. Dives were offered three times a day, with a couple of night dives (they might have offered more if our group had been keen, but largely we were more interested in supper than in dive-dive-dive). Guests from SlickRock, at the east end of the Caye, joined some dives. We would be between 4 and 9 people on a trip. Divemaster Monster and Captain Tony took good care of us. I never did lift a tank, or even rinse my own BCD. Dives ended for the group when the first person got low on air, so we ended at 45-52 minutes. I’d prefer not to dwell on how much air was left in my tank; after all, I chose to marry the air hog. Refreshers and lessons were available from Audrey, a great instructor.

The resort is a good place for novices and soft-core divers like myself. If you want independence, you’d better check with Jim and Kendra what they might be willing to allow. Rental equipment was in great shape, btw.

This is a comfortable, friendly, low-key place. Ten guests, six staff and the two owners make for a family atmosphere at generous, tasty buffet meals. Squeeze your own orange and grapefruit juice from the seemingly limitless citrus baskets. Rave over homemade breads, tortillas and biscuits. Composting toilets, solar lighting and candle lanterns, outdoor showers with rainwater gathered off the roofs, cooling breezes through generously louvred window-walls send a strong eco message. We never carried wallets or keys and seldom wore shoes.

When not diving you can snorkel, kayak, paddle board, walk the little nature trail, watch birds and the stunning stars, read, chat, or go fishing. WiFi is a little bit available for basic emails, but don’t plan on streaming video.

Jim and Kendra gave great advice on fun things to do inland before or after diving, and arranged pickups from anywhere in Dangriga. The people who overnighted in Dangriga didn’t seem to have had a restful stay. I was happy we spent our time before and after in Cayo district lodges. If you’re short of time, it is possible to connect by air from and to Belize International Airport on the Saturday morning flights to and from Dangriga.

Glad you had a good time.

Two questions; where did you stay in the Cayo?

And did you take any above water photos of OTW?

Before: Table Rock Lodge, near San Ignacio. Great location, handy to sights, on the Macal River for canoeing. No aircon but never needed. Fine birding. Good eats.
After: Sleeping Giant Lodge on the Hummingbird Highway. A little more upscale and impersonal, but only 1.5 hours from the airport. Also good birding.
Above water: ask and ye shall receive. Well, maybe receive, if I can get the hang of attachments here...

OTWhermit.jpg
OTWshop.jpg

OTWboat.jpg
View attachment 512920 View attachment 512920
OTWcabana.jpg
OTWdining.jpg
OTWshowerblock.jpg
OTWinfrontofcabana.jpg
OTWsharkoffbeach.jpg

Awesome - glad you had a good time and thanks for the report! This is the first year we have not been out there after 3 straight annual trips (trying something new)....it is such a chilled and beautiful place

How is Buzzy?

Reactions: FT
No bikini on the boat! OMG, I got a sunburn just thinking about it!

Seriously though, thanks for the report and photos, it's nice out there innit?

Reactions: FT
Bikinis on the boat, a fun side effect of short rides.
Buzzy sounds kinda asthmatic and still plays favourites. I wasn’t one.

Thanks for the photos.

I'm not familiar with Table Rock but have been in the area (Chaa Creek and DuPlooys/Sweet Songs). Really intense jungle in there. And I've often driven by Sleeping Giant on the Hummingbird Highway and wondered what it looked like. It's really close to "The Spot" on the Hummingbird where you can crest a hill, stop, put the car in neutral and you'll roll back up the hill. Not sure if it's an optical illusion but it's very cool. Best to do at night so you can see if traffic's coming, lol.

Glad you had a good time.

If you like Chaa Creek, Sleeping Giant gives a similar vibe. We visited Chaa Creek by canoe from Table Rock to see the morpho butterflies. It would be a significantly more expensive spot than Table Rock, unless you score one of their Macal River camp casitas.
There are now scarlet macaws to be seen near Sleeping Giant. A pleasant bonus.

No bikini on the boat! OMG, I got a sunburn just thinking about it!

Seriously though, thanks for the report and photos, it's nice out there innit?

Surely you meant bimini..........although bikinis on the boat are nice too!

Yes, darn autocorrect. Definitely meant bimini. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom