off gassing required for GWS cage diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I don't post very often but I love using this site for helpful info (always lurking - hahaha).

I'm getting my trip ready for the southern portion of Africa (I leave next week Wed. 24-9-08 (HOO!!HOO!!)

Cape Town is my last destination before I have to return back home to Los Angeles.

I plan on doing the GWS cage diving. My flight back to L.A. leaves 17-10-08 at 7:00pm. I will probably set up my cage diving for 15-10-08 and 16-10-08 (depending on availability). I also understand that all boats leave out of Gansbaai.

Here's my question: I understand that cage diving is all surface supplied air (no compressed air from scuba cylinders). If I do the cage diving the last two days before my flight back to L.A. leaves, will that be ok or is there an off-gassing requirement?

I get into Cape Town on 12-10-08, so it is possible for me to set up the cage diving for the first two days I'm in Cape Town (ie: 13-10-08 and 14-10-08).

Thanks for your help.

What counts it the depth you are at and the time you are at depth. Whether the air is surface supplied or from a scuba tank is not relevant.

For a shallow dive like you describe, the best way to calculate time to fly is
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AscentToAltitudeTable.pdf . As noted on the table, taking a commercial flight is equivalent to ascent to 8,000' altitude, since that is the upper limit for pressurized cabin altitude with most airlines. (It's an FAA limit, but obviously they don't have jurisdiction worldwide).

Those tables use the repetitive letter groups of the US Navy dive table:
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/NoDecoAirDiveTable.pdf

Most likely, since the cages won't be very deep, you will find that although there is an offgassing/time to fly requirement, that it will be compatible with your desired flights.

Charlie Allen

Depending on who you dive with you may not even need to off gas. Many of the operators prefer not to use any breathing apperatus at all as they maintain the bubbles scare off the sharks or at least make them wary of approaching the cage, so most of the viewing is done on breath hold.

Thanks for all your help.

AndyT - I see you're in Cape Town. I'll be in Cape Town starting 13-10-08 and flying out 17-10-08. Should I make my reservation for the shark cage diving now, or is it something I can book when I get there?

By your response, I'm assuming your're of the opinion that it doesn't matter which method an operator uses - breath hold or surface supplied air. Which would you recommend for the best chance of seeing a GWS?

I'm no expert at this, but it seem that some days sharks will approach the cage no matter what you use, other times they may be a bit wary. The operator will be able to advise you as to which method will work. I did the breath hold thing, but the day I went the viz was poor so I didn't get to see much - gotta go again some time !

Don't know who you will book through, but I have used www.piscesdivers.co.za
Contact mike@piscesdivers.co.za
They can organize pick up and drop off from Cape Town so you don't need to hire a car.

Enjoy your trip, if you need any more help please shout.

That didn't really answer your question - it's probably Ok to book when you get here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom