Off brand yellow filters for flouro diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

I've got an ikelite yellow filter for flouro diving. Last year I got married and I now need a second filter for her. Are the off brands like "merlin" as good? They look like pretty much the same thing to me at half the price. Has anyone used one?

Merlin: https://www.amazon.com/Fluorescence-Fluorodiving-Barrier-Dichroic-Underwater/dp/B01G2VJJAC
Ikelite: Amazon.com: Ikelite 6441.19 Yellow Barrier Filter for Dive Mask: Health & Personal Care

I've never actually used it, Picked up the UK eled blue light for invasion 2015 on sale at the LDS, discovered it needed a filter and the LDS hadn't bothered to mention that. Ordered a filter in 2016 but haven't had the opportunity to try it out.

Figured I'd get her a filter and we'd bring the light to Roatan.

I am also considering a blue light for fluorescence dives. I was shocked by what Light & motion is charging for their filters. The filters basically just filter out the source blue light. I was wondering if simple blue blocker sunglasses could be modified.
I realize for photography I would want to use a better filter but just to take the family out on a night dive (once every 2-3 years) $400 Cdn is just way to much.

Clip-on Flip Up Sun Glassess Night Vision Glasses Lens

blue blocker glasses - Google Search

No issue with cheaper solutions for mask overlays. It's just transparent yellow sheeting. I bought a poster size sheet for 1$ and cut it into the right shapes. For camera optics you need better quality, like you mentioned. For masks, the difference is minimal, slightly better less opaque or less distortion is negligible.

Enjoy,
Cameron

Thanks Northernone. I'll either try to find a sheet of plexiglass or maybe just by a couple pairs of blue blockers and figure out a way to mount them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom