Odds and ends (pics) from my last trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Found a few more while sorting through my stuff .

1322078383_9133019dda.jpg

1322962464_2a1eac3f84.jpg

954750648_9b7597216b.jpg

1322971554_9c92e743f4.jpg

1323033496_61f09d68ed.jpg

Very nice, as always, Andy. Judging from the second shot, maybe they're a dental school.

I truly enjoyed those, the cardinal fish pic is a great shot.

G'Day AndyT,:wink:

Great shots mate. I really enjoy photographs that capture an action or better still an interaction. The color and DOF is excellent. For these to be odds and ends I would love to see your definite ‘keeps’ from a trip! These are great.

I have just added another strobe to my setup and would like to ask you couple of questions about your strobe positioning.:D

I would like to ask (If you can remember) how you positioned your strobes for the macro images. In hindsight, would you have dropped the left strobe a touch to be parallel to the lens and filled in the predominate shadow cast by the right strobe? It almost seems that the left strobe has missed the majority of the subject completely. The way the small lines of shadows give depth to the detailing is great, particularly in the side fin of the scorpion cod. If you had hit it more with your left strobe do you think the extra light angle would have flattened these details by filling in those thin shadows? They highlight the bumps and appendages brilliantly?

Is the right strobe positioned almost straight above the right corner of the housing, and how have you angled it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.:)

Also, what are the benefits of your Dome? I am assuming this is a dome lens port for your housing you are talking about. I have seen a few people use these but have never asked them why do they use that.

Cheers for your help. :D

Yours Truly,
Carl Fallon.:14:

Hi Carl

For the Scorpionfish the strobe (left one I think) was directly over the camera. The fish was lying inside of the sponge so it was the only way to light it. I was way too close to the subject for side lighting to be effective. Most of my macro stuff is taken using one strobe , typically above the camera unless the position of the subject dictates otherwise. For really small stuff I will point the strobe directly at the subject, othewise I will aim it parallel to the lens to use just the edge of the strobe. It is sometimes necessary to use both strobes for macro, especially if there is coral or other marine life / objects preventing decent lighting. It's a judgement call I make when I see something I want to photograph. I will also review the image on the LCD, if it doesn't look right I will re-position the strobe/s and try again.

I use the dome with an Oly WCON-07C wide angle lens. In fact the Scorpion pic was taken with the WA and dome. Shooting through a flat port slightly narrows the field of view of the lens owing to refraction, the dome corrects this.

Thanks for the kind comments and interest !!! If I haven't answered everything please ask, I'm only too happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom