Odd Leaks, Olympus EM-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently got the Olympus OM-D E-M1 (plus 60mm macro lens) with the Olympus housing, and I love it, it’s an awesome camera (some samples here). I did however have 2 very odd leaks in about 20 dives with the camera:

- The leaks started only after about 10 minutes of diving, at about 12-15 meters deep.

- about one shot glass of water entered the housing. Once I saw that I surfaced, which took about a minute. The amount of water entered was so small that the camera was not damaged. It was a scare nevertheless.

- the first time this happened I had not removed the rubber frame of the viewfinder, as is recommended. I did that after the dive (and replaced the main o-ring), and there was no leak for the next 20 dives. The housing closed without unusual mechanical resistance with that rubber frame on, but can it be that it pushes against the lid just enough to cause a micro-leak?

- the second time this happened I cleaned the main and port o-rings, and the ridges in which they sit afterwards and I found some of the very fine dark volcanic sand which we have in Dauin/Philippines. The sand grans are finer than usual beach sand (more of a silt than a sand), and I saw a knife tip worth of them, not much at all. Still, can that be enough to cause a small leak?

Question: did anyone else have problems like that? Was leak #1 due to the rubber frame being present, and leak #2 due to the sand? Or is this a defective o-ring of a button, or some factory defect of the housing? These leaks are so odd since they only happen after a while into the dive, and the amount of water entering is minute. Normally if there is an o-ring problem the housing is full right away. What is going on here? Many thanks for feedback!

Yes, the volcanic silt can cause a leak. You should clean the O ring and grooves with each opening. N

I don't have that housing or camera (E-PL1) but for the most part they are pretty similar. My wife has had 2 non-destructive leaks and I've had 1 over 3 years and hundreds of dives. In neither case did we actually figure out what the cause was. Changing nothing, just rinsing out the case, cleaning all surfaces and O-rings, and putting them 'back to work' they've continued without problem. We did "something" wrong, we just don't know what.

I've had stories from people that have lost their cameras diving in areas with that fine volcanic silt. I'd say you have to be positively obsessive and detailed about preparation in those kind of conditions. Everything needs to be opened up, cleaned out, inspected, lubed, and carefully assembled under very good light and strong magnification. The abrasive character of the dust may be harder on channels and O-rings so those need special attention. O-rings may need more timely replacement than in more benign environments.
There are no shortcuts or magic solutions, just meticulous care.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it probably comes down to that. A few small silt grains can cause a problem. The volcanic silt, together with the beach entries, and long dives, with the camera often very close to the bottom would give the o-rings just enough trouble.

I will have to increase my O-ring obsession!

I don't have that housing or camera (E-PL1) but for the most part they are pretty similar. My wife has had 2 non-destructive leaks and I've had 1 over 3 years and hundreds of dives. In neither case did we actually figure out what the cause was. Changing nothing, just rinsing out the case, cleaning all surfaces and O-rings, and putting them 'back to work' they've continued without problem. We did "something" wrong, we just don't know what.

I've had stories from people that have lost their cameras diving in areas with that fine volcanic silt. I'd say you have to be positively obsessive and detailed about preparation in those kind of conditions. Everything needs to be opened up, cleaned out, inspected, lubed, and carefully assembled under very good light and strong magnification. The abrasive character of the dust may be harder on channels and O-rings so those need special attention. O-rings may need more timely replacement than in more benign environments.
There are no shortcuts or magic solutions, just meticulous care.

I'm lucky that we don't have much in the way of sand, certainly not ultra-fine volcanic dust. But most of my diving is from shore and I do find a bit of grit in the O-ring channel. What surprises me is the strobe area will also have a tad and it never comes near the bottom for the most part. I can seldom just open things up and close it back up without careful inspection and usually a clean and lube.
I'm thinking that stuff could be pretty abrasive at a microscopic level. If not cleaned out/off well it could wear on the O-ring and the grooves over time.

That fine silt is a problem and I have noticed it but never had a leak due to it. Mind you I was diving with an old Aquatica at the time and those housings were built like tanks. Modern housings are not as forgiving and the soft o'rings don't help as they seem easier to damage/unseat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom