Odd Bio-Filter Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmayer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I picked up a new Bio-Filter back in May. I used it on my trip to Roatan in June and it was FANTASTIC. It worked exactly as described.

I took it on a trip to Dominica in July and another to Grand Cayman last week.

The system doesn't seem to be working any more. The foam insert is still very wet when I remove it, even after 4 dives without adding water. The air I'm breathing doesn't seem to be humidified.

Does anyone have an idea what I could be doing wrong? Nothing has changed -- it's still on the same reg set. I tried changing the foam filter, it didn't make any difference.

philmayer:
I picked up a new Bio-Filter back in May. I used it on my trip to Roatan in June and it was FANTASTIC. It worked exactly as described.

The system doesn't seem to be working any more. The foam insert is still very wet when I remove it, even after 4 dives without adding water. The air I'm breathing doesn't seem to be humidified.

Does anyone have an idea what I could be doing wrong? Nothing has changed -- it's still on the same reg set. I tried changing the foam filter, it didn't make any difference.

Is the intermediate pressure being delivered to the second stage still within the manufacturer's specifications? Does the second stage appear to be breathing the same as it was in Roatan?

Unscrew the end closest to the first stage and look at the charcoal filter to see if there if anything looks strange relative to the charcoal filter.

On an unrelated side note, if you are diving Nitrox the charcoal filter should be removed (only the foam core is used with Nitrox).

philmayer:

Phil: The moisturizing wick should be removed and stored dry between dive trips: www.apollosportsusa.com/Service/Manuals.htm#biofilter

The activated charcoal filter will capture rust, dirt, impurities, etc. If the filter is clogged it did its job and you may need to replace it. We recommend that the filter be removed when using EAN.

Please contact us if you are having a problem.

www.diveapollo.com
E-mail: apollous@mac.com
Fax: 425.29.7665

mdb:
Phil: The moisturizing wick should be removed and stored dry between dive trips: www.apollosportsusa.com/Service/Manuals.htm#biofilter

The activated charcoal filter will capture rust, dirt, impurities, etc. If the filter is clogged it did its job and you may need to replace it. We recommend that the filter be removed with using EAN.

www.diveapollo.com
I've recently picked up a Bio-Filter Moisture System from ST too. Does the wick and charcoal filter need to be replaced periodically (even not completely clogged)?

Thanks.

judestudio:
I've recently picked up a Bio-Filter Moisture System from ST too. Does the wick and charcoal filter need to be replaced periodically (even not completely clogged)?

Thanks.

judestudio: A visual inspection should tell you if the filter has trapped contaminates. The Moisture wick is good for quite awhile.
Just store the wick separate when dry.

More info at: www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm

Call us with any questions. Joe and Larry have lots of experience with the bio-filter and all of our products.

Yes, the reg seems to be breathing the same, just not moist air. Also, I changed out first stages in Grand Cayman last week and it didn't make a difference.

I haven't been using the charcoal filters since I normally dive nitrox. On the Dominica trip I dove air though and didn't use the charcoal filter either.

I take the wick out each night and let it dry, and it stays out between trips.

Could not using the charcoal filter when diving air have caused a problem? My guess is that I've somehow clogged the pores in the housing or something.

philmayer:
Yes, the reg seems to be breathing the same, just not moist air. Also, I changed out first stages in Grand Cayman last week and it didn't make a difference.

I haven't been using the charcoal filters since I normally dive nitrox. On the Dominica trip I dove air though and didn't use the charcoal filter either.

I take the wick out each night and let it dry, and it stays out between trips.

Could not using the charcoal filter when diving air have caused a problem? My guess is that I've somehow clogged the pores in the housing or something.

Phil: Sounds as if you are doing everything correctly. If the moisture wick is fitted over the moisturizer tube you should be delivering re humidified air to your primary second stage. Not using the charcoal filter should not cause any problem.

We have had cases were divers forgot to use the wick over the tube.
www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm

Give us a call at 800.231.0909. We are in the office 9-4 Pacific time, Monday-Friday.

mdb:
Phil: Sounds as if you are doing everything correctly. If the moisture wick is fitted over the moisturizer tube you should be delivering re humidified air to your primary second stage. Not using the charcoal filter should not cause any problem.

We have had cases were divers forgot to use the wick over the tube.
www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm

Give us a call at 800.231.0909. We are in the office 9-4 Pacific time, Monday-Friday.

Yeah, I've been putting the foam wick over the tube just like I did the first trip.

I'll give you guys a call this week.

Phil: The moisturizing wick should be removed and stored dry between dive trips: Apollo Sports: Service: Manuals & Schematics

The activated charcoal filter will capture rust, dirt, impurities, etc. If the filter is clogged it did its job and you may need to replace it. We recommend that the filter be removed when using EAN.

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear
Can the filter cause problems when used with EAN? The instruction booklet says "Moisture wick can be used with nitrox up to EAN level 40. (Charcoal filter should be removed for use with nitrox)", so the moisture wick can stay on or should I remove the whole unit altogether?

Just a matter of interest, what's gonna happen if I leave them on?

Back
Top Bottom