OctoZ / Poseidon compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoctorBob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!
I just got a new Zeagle Stiletto BC with the OctoZ, and I can't wait to try it out.
My problem is my regulator is a Poseidon Cyklon, which has a higher intermediate pressure than most other regulators. From reading this board, I have read varying opinions as to whether it is a good idea to use a different manufacturer's 2nd stage with the Poseidon 1st stage. Apparently the Poseidon 1st stage puts out about 180 psi as an intermediate pressure. So, willt it be ok to use the OctoZ with the Poseidon 1st stage? It seems to work, but I have not tried diving with it. Has anybody tried other 2nd stages with the poseidon 1st stage? Any potential problems with using an OctoZ with a higher intermediate pressure? The Poseidon rep did not think it was a great idea, but he said to check with Zeagle. So what say you?
Thanks,

Bob

Almost every brand of regulator will work fine with the Octo-Z right out of the box, but you got the odd one that does not.

You CAN use it, but you will need to have the ip of the reg turned down to about 150 psi.

Thanks,

Scott

If you turn the IP down from 190 to 150 the Poseidon second stage may not work right.

Thanks for the replies. What will happen if I do use the Poseidon at the higher ip?
Will the OctoZ still work? Will it blow up? Void the warranty?

I can't say for sure, typical of that sort of mismatch would be for the regulator to appear fine till you take a breath and then for it to freeflow. I'll never forget the first time I put an Aquadyne (60 PSI IP) second on a 130 PSI USD first.

I can't say for sure, typical of that sort of mismatch would be for the regulator to appear fine till you take a breath and then for it to freeflow. I'll never forget the first time I put an Aquadyne (60 PSI IP) second on a 130 PSI USD first.

That would suck!
Hmm.. Looks like I may be in the market for a new reg.

I'd go to the shop where I got it and see if they can't turn the first stage down a little and readjust the second so it will all work together OK, you may sacrifice a little in regulator performance, but it may not be much.

I'd go to the shop where I got it and see if they can't turn the first stage down a little and readjust the second so it will all work together OK, you may sacrifice a little in regulator performance, but it may not be much.

Thanks again for your suggestion/help.
The Poseidon regulator is an old Cyklon 300 that I inherited from my brother. Probably from 1980 or so. If it was new, I would take your suggestion, but probably easier to use a different one. Will probably have to repossess my old Sherwood that I passed down to my daughter when I got the Poseidon. Or maybe just get a new regulator other than Poseidon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom