Octopus rattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigduke12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a mares prestige octopus. Noticed if I give it a shake there is a rattle. If I just put the slightest pressure on the purge button and shake, no rattle. It works fine. Haven't noticed if the rattle is present while pressurised.

It is almost brand new. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

The sound you are hearing is most likely the demand lever, if so it's nothing to worry about. It "may" however be set too low. Having said that it's hard to be definitive over the Internet. Can you take it back the shop or a shop and have someone look at it for you to be sure?

Thanks. Will get someone at the shop I dive out of to give it a check out next time I'm there. Bought on ebay and have used. Octo worked fine. Never noticed if there was a rattle pressurised.

The Mares 2nd stage seat in the Proton was notorious for taking a set and the 2nd stage leaking.
The quick and easy fix was to keep screwing in the orifice.....this works, up to a point.
Suggest you flip the seat and start again or get a new seat.

I have a mares prestige octopus. Noticed if I give it a shake there is a rattle. If I just put the slightest pressure on the purge button and shake, no rattle. It works fine. Haven't noticed if the rattle is present while pressurised.

It is almost brand new. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

The sound you are hearing is most likely the demand lever, if so it's nothing to worry about. It "may" however be set too low. Having said that it's hard to be definitive over the Internet. Can you take it back the shop or a shop and have someone look at it for you to be sure?

1+.

Short answer :wink:: Your Prestige is probably normal.

Long-winded answer :blinking:: Most Mares 2nd stages, when properly tuned, will rattle slightly if you gently shake them while the regulator is pressurized. What you are hearing is the tip of the demand level tapping against the diaphragm. It is normal for there to be a very tiny amount of "slack" for these particular 2nd stages. There should not be any tapping or rattling when the regulator is depressurized however.

The reason the rattle stops when you slightly depress the purge button is that it takes out the slack and brings the diaphragm into contact with the lever.

How much slack should there be with the regulator pressurized??

• The should be a slight rattle (like lightly tapping a fingernail on an empty aluminum can). Not a loud clacking.
  • Pressing the purge button should produce an airflow after the purge has traveled about 2mm, but not much more than this.
  • There should never be any rattle with the reg depressurized. This indicates a demand lever that is WAY too low.

The reason for a tiny bit of "slack" is to reduce the possibility of free flow in a strong current. If the demand lever is so high that it contacts the diaphragm with the regulator pressurized it will make the 2nd stage overly sensitive.

The reason too much slack is a problem is that it delays beginning of airflow as you inhale, and taken to an extreme will limit the overall travel of the demand lever, making the 2nd stage breath poorly.

If you have doubts certainly get the reg checked, but what you described sounds "normal", and is exactly how I tune my Mares 2nd stages when I service them.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the replies. Assumed it was some sort of slack. As it's my octopus, will probably get it adjusted when possible. My Abyss 22 breathes very well.

Back
Top Bottom