Octopus for the Legend LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frost

Registered
Reaction score
Considering the ABS Octopus or the LX Octopus to go with the Legend LX. Any suggestions on which might be a preferred choice? Thanx.

I'm not sure what conditions you're diving, but you might want to get something similar to the SeaQuest Alternate AirSource or the Air 2 where the octo is integrated with the bc inflater. It allows for one less hose and just makes it more streamlined. I have the Aqualung Titan LX and use the AirSource and love it. I switch back and forth between it and my primary to make sure it works.

frost:
Considering the ABS Octopus or the LX Octopus to go with the Legend LX. Any suggestions on which might be a preferred choice? Thanx.

I also have the Legend LX as my primary, and my backup. Since I dive with my backup reg on a bungeed necklace, and my primary on a 7 ft hose, in an OOA situation, I'll donate the one out of my mouth and switch to the backup around my neck. Anyways, since it's for me, I wanted the backup to be as high performing as the primary.

The Titan LX (model below Legend) is a great choice as well, and cheaper.

Mel

I'd go with the LX. I'm not a big fan of the slimline style octos. But that is my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

For the love of God, if you have the choice go with the LX. It literally breathes with 1/4 the effort of the ABS.
The ABS recently replaced the LPO, which, ok might be good for rental, or beginner to intermediate level dving. But if you are going to be getting into any advanced level diving, I would strongly recommend the LX. Your buddy will thank you.
It will also save you the trouble of upgrading later down the line should you be headed that route.

I have a Legend. I spent a lot of time researching the octo because of the cost. You should use an air balanced second like the Legend Octo with the "over-balanced" first. If you don't, the octo will have to be adjusted for the higher IP or it will leak air at depth as the IP increases. Do a search and you will find info on this.

The LX octo has been discontinued but may be still be available and is cheaper. The LX and the Legend Octo are really the same.

I really like having the same octo and primary. If you need to save money the Titan LX is a great reg.

Thanx for the advice. Guess I'll check with my LDS for the availability of the LX Octo. :)

I like the straight Legend (not LX) for both primary and octo.
Rick

If you still prefer the slimline type octo, you can consider the Apeks Egress.
My Legend is paired with the egress and it's been working well after over 30 dives.

I use the Legend L/X with a Oct L/X. To me it seems to be the same reg as the Titan L/X but I am not a technical person when it comes to the guts of a reg.

I can tell you that in a pinch I paired the Legend to a Sherwood Brut as a Octo and it worked but I have been told that is not a good idea. I never had a free flow problem but can not imagine that the brut would ever free flow as the air does not come out of it very easy even when you are using it.

Back
Top Bottom