Octopus attacks Sub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennedc

Contributor
Reaction score
Did ya'll hear about this? Giant Pacific octo, weighing 45 kg, attacked a remote controlled sub off of Vancouver Island last fall. I saw the video clip on CNN Headline news tonight. Why is this just now making the news? I wish I could find a link to the video clip. Here's a link to read about it. 45kg...that's 99lbs! That's a scary big octo.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060126/octopus_bc_060126/20060126?hub=Canada
Oh, wait. The link to the video is right to the left of the article on the newspage link I gave above. Interesting.

Hi,

So scary........huge octopus.....

Thank you for sharing

Cheer
Jason:05:

bennedc:
Did ya'll hear about this? Giant Pacific octo, weighing 45 kg, attacked a remote controlled sub off of Vancouver Island last fall. I saw the video clip on CNN Headline news tonight. Why is this just now making the news? I wish I could find a link to the video clip. Here's a link to read about it. 45kg...that's 99lbs! That's a scary big octo.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060126/octopus_bc_060126/20060126?hub=Canada
Oh, wait. The link to the video is right to the left of the article on the newspage link I gave above. Interesting.

doesn't sound like an "attack"

sounds more like a "hey, what's this weird thing doing in my back yard" type thing

and THEN the frigging operator attacked the octopus:

He ended up blasting the approximate 45-kilogram octopus with water, silt and seashells to get rid of it.

'cause he was afraid the octo would damage the little sub

notice that no damage to the sub is reported, and none in fact occurred

:wink:

i just love it how the press coaches this into a "savage octopus attacks
helpless droid" story when just the opposite happened

No, no, no! If you read the story, the octopus was in love! Spurned by that darned fickle sub!

Or maybe the octopus was harassing the sub. Octopus: "Hey, you're cute." Sub: "ummm..." Octopus: "Let me show you how long my tentacles are!" Sub: "urrr..." Octopus: "How about coming over to see my etchings!" Sub: "arrrr..."

mike_s:
I'm surprised no one joked about "the yellow sub-marine"....

not as yellow as the operator's briefs after the incident...

groan... that was bad...

really bad

Actually when I first saw the story they interviewed a marine biologist and he said it looked to him that the octopus was probably more curious than "attacking". Was actually pretty balanced reporting. However if it was my $200,000 sub on the end of a very very long cable I wouldn't be letting an octopus play with it or attack it.

Back
Top Bottom