Octopus and Safe Second

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure how likely it is that you would need this, but it should work. If three people were breathing off of the same tank at once though, you would probably run out of air pretty fast. You would also have to consider the additional maintenance costs/time required as well as the greater possibility that you would have a failure that could end your dive, you're adding a lot of moving parts to what is normally a simple system, a decision that has a history of increasing failure rate.

I'm not sure how likely it is that you would need this, but it should work. If three people were breathing off of the same tank at once though, you would probably run out of air pretty fast. You would also have to consider the additional maintenance costs/time required as well as the greater possibility that you would have a failure that could end your dive, you're adding a lot of moving parts to what is normally a simple system, a decision that has a history of increasing failure rate.
Yep, you can but why? I see no benefit.

AJ:
Yep, you can but why? I see no benefit.
That was basically the point I was trying to make, this setup is technically possible but largely impractical. If you need redundant air, it's probably better to use a small pony bottle.

In reality you only have one breathable air source as you only have one first stage. Any issues you have with the only first stage eliminates any and all second stages you have hooked to it.

In reality you only have one breathable air source as you only have one first stage. Any issues you have with the only first stage eliminates any and all second stages you have hooked to it.
From what I learned while I was getting certified, all of the extra second stages you can have are to allow you to rescue another diver should their gear fail to provide air, not to give you another way to get air from your tank if the reg stops working. Therefore if you are trying to prepare for a regulator failure, it is best to either keep you dive buddy near so that you can share their air, or have a pony bottle that you can breathe from separate from your main air source.

The only possible advantage for a BC/REG combo I can think of is that it is always in the same place and harder to drag along the bottom.
Of course securing your safe second correctly and in the same place every dive does the same.

It’s biggest advantage may be freaking out the scuba police.
Well that's always fun and a worth while endeavor. My IDs have that effect! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom