October to Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadudee

Reaction score
Hi buddies,

I wonder if it is a good time to go Sipadan now?

Wonder what can be expected during this period?

I was hoping for some action dives...like large perlagics....Anyone?

Was there October last year - I think the hammerheads and mantas we saw would meet your criteria.

Great diving.

Thank you so much buddy !!!!!

kywash:
Was there October last year - I think the hammerheads and mantas we saw would meet your criteria.

Great diving.

was there in september some 5 years ago - dont remember seeing mantas or hammerheads - still, unbelievable dives. turtles, baracudas, napoleons, etc...

one very **useful** trick - many dives are drift dives, and you may want to stop sometimes - to wait for other guys or check something. the DM had a fairly large hook / S shape (2"), and a 2-3 ft rope on it. he would hook it to some asperity (hope this is english) of the rocks, and hold onto it.

I was staying on mabul, where you could do muck dives - a good change after a few days in sipadan

believe them when they talk about pirates, it is not just to impress you - remember that the guys who ended up in jolo got picked up there

confort is fairly minimal, food is boring

eric

I was there for a week in November 2 years ago. We had some rain but it was early in the morning before the dive day began. Nice weather all day long.

Hi,
I was in Sipadan in September a few years ago. Visibility was fantastic. I didn't see the hammerheads but others did. Remember to get there early (7 a.m.) if you want to see them - they are early birds... :wink:

What I saw: some leopard sharks, tons of barracudas and turtles, maori wrasses, giant bumphead parrot fish ... As mentioned before, the mix is fantastic - you also have to do some muck dives around Mabul and Kapalai - it's worth it!

Have fun!

Gaby
PS: I have some images from Sipadan/Mabul on my website:
http://home.pages.at/roland_zimmermann/uw/thumb_malaysia1.htm

Just came back from Sipadan a few days ago. Didn't see any hammerheads but saw lots of white-tips, supposedly due to colder water (it was pouring every nights) and turtles.

Gee...thanks...there seems to be no whale sharks spotted inSipadan....thought I can expect to see great action...

Went to Sipadan twice. The 2nd time, the current was kinda rough. Visibility was so-so. But to be honest, there isn't any known season for Sipadan.

When I was at Labas Rock and Soyak Island in Tioman, in August, the visibility was poor. And August was supposed to be the peak season for diving in South China Sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom