October in Vietnam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lodestar

New
Reaction score
Hi!

One very straightforward question - Where would you go for a few dives in Vietnam in October and why? That is the general question.

I have been reading the Vietnam related posts here and drawn my conclusions. Would love to check out the Cham islands or Phu Quoc. However, considering the weather in October am having some trouble. Cham is apparently dead from September. True? And Phu Quoc a bit far for just a "maybe we get to dive". So thinking of going to Nha Trang, as typical, though would love a prettier and less urban overall scene. Or maybe Hoi An, though i haven't heard or read much about it. Can anybody say something?

But again - the weather. So another question - does the rain mean that there are no dives happening, or does it just mean worse viz and maybe rougher waters? Basically - is there any point in trying to dive somewhere in October?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks a bunch
L.

The tail end of the rainy season is in September, so unless it were early October I don't think rain would be a major factor.

Hi Lodestar

Hoi An City is underwater at the mo. Diving doesn't restart till Feb anyway.

Go to Phu Quoc. Fing a bloke called George who runs Rainbow Diving. He's been there for yonks and knows EVERYTHING about the diving there. He'll charge you more for the exsperience but it's well worth it. The other cowboys on the Island who do diving just want your money; theyre a disgrace to diving.

Looking at Rainbows website, you can email georges@divevietnam.com

Hope this helps.

Paul

This isn't specific to scuba, but apparently all travelers to Vietnam are being screened for the H1N1 virus, and if they find any signs(like an elevated temp) they quarantine you for a week, and charge you $1000 for the priviledge of staying at the hospital or wherever. I don't think I'd go to Vietnam right now. My parents were talking about going in Jan, but not if this policy is still in effect since it's looking like a great moneymaker for the gov, plus it would suck to spend a week of your vacation in the hospital.

Vietnamese Quarantine Procedures, H1N1A Information and Preparedness

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom