October Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watch_the_bubbles

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
Looking to dive in Thailand in October. I want to dive on the West, and would be around for just under 3 weeks.
Would weather be an issue?
Are liveaboards operating?
Approx cost per dive (with own equipment)?

Thank you!

Weather can be an issue as October is near the end of the rainy season. However! You should be able to go diving most of the days during your 3 weeks holiday.

There are several liveaboards to the Similan islands/Koh Bon/Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock who starts operating around the 15th of October or a few days later. They will cost you from around 19.000 THB for a 4 days/4 nights trip include 14 dives (some cost slightly less and others a lot more). You can also go for less or more days and even combine some trips to the Similans with some great diving down south around Phi Phi islands and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang.

it will cost you around 2.800 THB for 2 dives and 3.600 THB for 3 dives when diving from Phuket/Krabi and Koh Lanta (some dive centers wil lcharge you less and some more). Booking more days will give you anything from 10 - 20 % discount, depending of how many days you go diving and the operator. Diving from Phi Phi islands is cheaper and from Khao Lak more expenssive.

Let us know where you will be staying and the dates so we can give you some more detaled information.

Have a great holiday :)

Michael,
Thank you very much for your detailed yet succinct answer!

Since my post, I've been considering postponing my trip to January as I'd be able to spend more time in the region. Like almost 5 weeks.

Well, that's even better but there is a couple of things to take into consideration. Weather is not a problem - In my 10 years in Thailand I can't remember a January with bad weather.

Liveaboard - Book your liveaboard well in advance. January is the most busy month of the year and many liveaboards will be fully booked weeks and sometimes months ahead. Again, think about doing a trip up north to the Similans and south to Phi Phi islands and Hin Daeng.

Day trips - A bit the same as the liveaboards. Several day trip boats can be fully booked up to a week ahead and it can be a real pain in the ... to make a booking. By pre-booking your days of diving you can secure your preferred days. This is for all destinations.

If you are travelling around Thailand, I would be able to help you out on the different destinations - Just send me a PM.

Again, thank you for the valuable information. I will be in touch once I finalise WHEN I'm gonna travel!

Back
Top Bottom