Octo Z first stage hose connection problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruceh68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Scott - Bought an Octo Z for my Ranger BC. It came with an inflator hose. The end that goes into my US Divers first stage reg is to small. Do you have an adapter and where can I get it ?

I went to our resident regualtor expert, Mr. Jim Fox, and asked him this question, since he knows about 100 times more about regs than I do (especially other brands!) and here is his repsonse:

Apeks, Aqualung and Dacor made regs with 1/2" LP Ports as well as the
standard 3/8" LP ports that we and most others use exclusivley. Apeks always
had just one primary port with that thread, and the rest of the LP ports
were the standard 3/8" size. I don't know if Aqualung made or makes regs
with ALL 1/2" LP Ports, or if he is using the 3/8" for his main primary 2nd
stage, and then opened up a spare port and found the 1/2" thread. As far as
I know, nobody EVER made an LP Inflator hose with a 1/2" inlet.

On the other hand, as you say, he COULD be looking at a 7/16" HP Port.

USD did make 1st stages with all 1/2" LP ports. Dacor made 1/2" LP ports too.

On old regulators, the key to spotting unmarked HP port is the pin hole sized supply inlet in the 1st stage body. LP ports always have a large bore. Back in the old days both were 3/8" and often LP hoses popped as a result.

There are 1/2" male to 3/8" female adapters out there from accessory companies like Trident, etc.

Bruce, I'd go to Mac's or EZ, they should have what you need or can get it PDQ.

Chad

Solved the problem with an adapter. Picked up a new Zeagle Rezort/Envoy regulator. Put it on the tank and went into the pool. The second stage makes this gurgling noise for a few min when inhaling then goes away and yes I blow out first. What's that all about?

bruceh68:
Solved the problem with an adapter. Picked up a new Zeagle Rezort/Envoy regulator. Put it on the tank and went into the pool. The second stage makes this gurgling noise for a few min when inhaling then goes away and yes I blow out first. What's that all about?

This is common with side breathing Regs and Otco/Inflators, Tilt your head down to the right a bit on the first exhale to get the diaphragm below the housing, then you will get all the water out on the first breath. Or just do the same as above and push the diaphragm in to give it a bit of a purge

Cheers
Chris

Back
Top Bottom