Octo Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldwater_Canuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay time to make the least exciting gear choice: my octo.

First, just to make sure, are all octos compatible with all first stages? I know my first stage is sealed, this wont make any difference, right?

Second, I dive cold water and purposely went for a reg that performs well in cold water to avoid any freeflows. Is there the possibility of freeflows from your octo and is there any way to know when purchasing if some are more likely to have this problem?

Finally, any other tips or advice? The two that stood out to me are:
Mares Brigade Octo: Mares Brigade Viper Octo reviews and discounts, Mares
Cheap, streamlined, and the big feature: can breathe out of upside down

Oceanic Slimline: Used Slimline Octo reviews and discounts, ScubaToys
Can get it used for really cheap, super streamlined, looks like a decent product

Any opinions? What features really matter? I just want something that won't freeflow and will work (I really don't care if it breathes well: it's an octo).

I think that by and large most second stages and first stages are fairly interchangeable. Unless Poseidon or other high IP designs, some Aqualung designs use over-balanced first stages so they may have an issue (not sure about this).

I would stick with the same brand of first and second stages that way you are sure that the annual maintenance can be done by the same shop/person, keeps life easy. I know I have to three different shops to maintain all my regulators (ScubaPro, Poseidon, Aqualung, Oceanic and IDI)

You can ÅÅetune a second stage to make it less susceptible to free flow. If an adjustable second stage even easier just turn it all the way down (hardest to breath). I believe you can also detune a first stage, my local dive shops would reduce the IP of the ScubaPro Mk-25 AF to 125 psi for cold water diving.

Personally, I now use Poseidon Xstream regs for my cold water diving, love them!

Hope this helps, Mike

I would stick with the same brand of first and second stages that way you are sure that the annual maintenance can be done by the same shop/person, keeps life easy. I know I have to three different shops to maintain all my regulators (ScubaPro, Poseidon, Aqualung, Oceanic and IDI)
That's not a bad idea. It's not so much servicing (my LDS services basically any brand), but that would be the best way to get compatibility.

I found the octo from the same line as my reg:
Zeagle ZX Octo 320-1110 with reviews at scuba.com
And it has multiple free-flow resistant features (venturi assist, airflow control, heat exchanger). It's a little more than I wanted to pay for my octo, but it's probably much better quality.

If I decide to get this one, I'll see if Scubatoys will match (they're charging like $50 more), otherwise I'll just order from Scuba.com.

Hey I would just watch out getting too cheap of an octo. I know it is only a backup, but I bought a very cheap octo for the same reason, but in an OOA situation it will be very hard to breath from my octo. Also, once you do get it, I like to breath from my and know that if I have to donate it, it still works.

If you get more into SCUBA, many people prefer to donate their primary. In an OOA situation the nervous individual is more likely to go for the 2nd stage in your mouth than the one attached to your gear somewhere. Just be prepared for you or your buddy to breath from your octo if needed.

What is your primary/second stage combo, on which you'll add this octopus?

Hey I would just watch out getting too cheap of an octo. I know it is only a backup, but I bought a very cheap octo for the same reason, but in an OOA situation it will be very hard to breath from my octo. Also, once you do get it, I like to breath from my and know that if I have to donate it, it still works.

If you get more into SCUBA, many people prefer to donate their primary. In an OOA situation the nervous individual is more likely to go for the 2nd stage in your mouth than the one attached to your gear somewhere. Just be prepared for you or your buddy to breath from your octo if needed.
Good point. I'll mark that as a second for the ZX octo (even if you didn't use those words) :D

What is your primary/second stage combo, on which you'll add this octopus?
Zeagle Flathead VI/ZX (just bought on closeout)

I use a standard second stage as my octo....you can get one in almost any reg. If it ever gets used, both the primary and octo breath the same...

a few ideas:

- stick to the same brand as the 1st/2nd stages that you already have (Zeagle in your case) - easier when going for maintenance
- select a good 2nd stage as octopus, not a cheap unbalanced one; after all, you'll need it exactly when you or your buddy are in trouble - not the greatest moment to be cheap
- I saw some people here giving advice to use the same as your main 2nd stage; I have a theoretical issue with this advice - if both are identical, there are more chances they will have the same problem in some given conditions. I am not familiar with Zeagle, but maybe you can choose a good 2nd stage different in design from yours (different parts, different concepts). Eventually, you may skip some value-added features (like adjustment knobs) for simplicity, as long as the design is good (in Scubapro's case for example, I think S555, a S600 clone without the knob is a good octopus for a G250V, but not for an S600 for the reasons mentioned above). Of course, having two technologies could statistically mean twice as much opportunities for something to go wrong, but less opportunities for something to go wrong simultaneously on the main and spare 2nd stages.

High there,
I'm wondering some of the same things as I buy my first rig. Why am I being offered 'Octos"that are so inexpensive when they are the emergency/safety device, that I or a panicked person will grap? My experience is that a Safety device is even of higher quality because it does not get used as much and 'needs to work' even better than your main 2nd stage??????????????????

TT

Back
Top Bottom