Octo recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to get rid of my Aqualung Airsouce inflator / octo combo in favor of a traditional octopus. Currently rocking an Apeks XL4+ first stage.

I'm a new diver but I've got the bug, and hope to eventually start training caves / caverns / wrecks etc. With this in mind, I figure it makes sense to buy equipment that I can grow into, instead of prioritizing cost savings now only to have to purchase more capable equipment later as I start doing more demanding dives.

For me that means getting an octo that works well at any depth, works well in the cold, is compatible with various gases, has minimal free flow concerns, and is tough. I'll probably wear it on a necklace also - not sure if that makes bulk a concern or not.

Ditto...I use identical HOGs...and identical DeepSix...the only concern if you're doing cold cold dives? If so, that'll limit your thought process.

get one that matches your primary second stage, way easier. "bulk" is not a concern

Thanks for the reply - same model, or just manufacturer? My current primary second stage is an Apeks XL4. If that checks all the boxes I'd like in an octo, then great! But if there's a better-suited model out there then I may as well buy that, then upgrade my primary second stage when I need to, no?

For me that means getting an octo that works well at any depth, works well in the cold, is compatible with various gases, has minimal free flow concerns, and is tough. I'll probably wear it on a necklace also - not sure if that makes bulk a concern or not.

...the only concern if you're doing cold cold dives? If so, that'll limit your thought process.

Where I live currently the diving is typically around 50 degrees F - I'd like to dive Clear Lake which I believe is closer to 40 degrees F. No immediate plans for ice diving per se (although I'd like to at least try it at some point) - but I'd like to know that I get a second stage that's well suited for the aforementioned temperatures as well as the other criteria I mentioned previously.

Thanks for the reply - same model, or just manufacturer? My current primary second stage is an Apeks XL4. If that checks all the boxes I'd like in an octo, then great! But if there's a better-suited model out there then I may as well buy that, then upgrade my primary second stage when I need to, no?

As long as they have identical parts kits, that's what matters. MTX maybe but I don't know if they use the same parts kits. None of them will really be much of an upgrade though, marginal at best.

Yeah, don't listen to me, I run from anything less than 80*...someone with PNW experience will jump in soon.

There is only one Apeks second stage service kit. So any Apeks octo will use the same kit as your Apeks primary.

But there's something to be said for having your auxiliary second stage breathe identically to your primary. I've gone away from the Air2/Airsource/SS1 scheme myself.

The gold rule has always been to use two identical, high performance second stages. These regs usually have a knob or some other ways of preventing free flowing when not in the mouth (dive-predive switch, Venturi vane control, etc.). So you keep one "fully open" in your mouth and the other (the "octopus", but I prefer to call it the "secondary air source") "closed" so that you do not waste gas.
If in your area most tanks are equipped with double valves, as here in Italy, I warmly suggest that you buy also another first stage, for full redundancy. It will become VERY handy when you step up to tech. Of course also this should be identical to the other first stage...
I do not know in your area, but here often you get good bargains so that a first plus second costs significantly less than purchasing them separately...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom