Oct. 16, 2010 Race Rocks (Victoria) photos/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps the sceptical one questioned the swimming skills of the group. Did the big bulls stay on the rocks?

I didn't see any huge bulls near the area where we were diving. I saw some smaller California males underwater. The latest diver rumour I've heard with no references to back it up is that most of the sealions at Race are juvenile males.

Awesome pictures Mark. On my list of things to do.
Were you a little worried about being in the water with seals when transient orcas were about? I don't know enough about their behavior but I always thought we looked a little like seals (well, really lame ones anyways).

i dunno, Dale, if swank can find himself a safe place to witness the hunting, there would some absolutely magnificent photos, award winning stuff.

Excellent photos, Swank, I wanna go dive there so badly!

Awesome pictures Mark. On my list of things to do.
Were you a little worried about being in the water with seals when transient orcas were about? I don't know enough about their behavior but I always thought we looked a little like seals (well, really lame ones anyways).

We didn't see the orcas until after the first dive and they had already passed Race Rocks and were heading North. The boat operator was always hanging around and during the pre-dive briefing, he said that if he sees orcas nearby, he'd rev the engine and bang on the bottom of the boat to let us know to surface. To be honest though, I've never been worried about orcas here. Transients are always cruising up and down the Strait of Juan de Fuca so divers could run into them everywhere, but there's never been a problem.

Thanks for the photo essays! Race Rocks is on my must-do-soon list.

Back
Top Bottom