Oct. 10 Camiguin, Mindanao pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
johnnys.jpg

site.jpg

star.jpg

orangutan.jpg

nudi.jpg

fan.jpg

My favorite shot. A triton's Trumpet eating a Pillow Star
triton.jpg

puffer.jpg

Black sand beach adjacent to Secret Cove Resort, Camiguin, Misamis Oriental, Mindanao
beach.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots as always!

What did you think of the dive op, Jim? From past research, I recall there being a few Johnny's Dive 'n' Funs around, but don't remember anything further. Interested to read more about them as I quite liked diving in that general area and hope to visit Camiguin next trip.

Great shots as always!

What did you think of the dive op, Jim? From past research, I recall there being a few Johnny's Dive 'n' Funs around, but don't remember anything further. Interested to read more about them as I quite liked diving in that general area and hope to visit Camiguin next trip.

The dive op is fine but there are some hitches to diving here.
Look at the map above.
1.The sites outside the marked off "local area" incur an extra charge of 700 pesos per diver in addition to the dive cost. That's pretty steep if you ask me.
2. Tupsan Point is closed indefinetly to diving to allow re-generation of the reef, so I am told.
3. Sunken Cemetery and Canyons is in an area that requires a 500 pesos per diver fee plus a camera fee, which I don't know the amount. Who knows who that money goes to? A rip off and the dive op doesn't like to go there because of it. There is nothing at those two sites that is special enough to warrant those fees according to the dive op.

Thanks for the info. So it appears according to the map, there are 5 sites offshore and 3 shore dives that are accessible without incurring additional fees? Based on what you've seen, would you do a return trip?

Thanks for the info. So it appears according to the map, there are 5 sites offshore and 3 shore dives that are accessible without incurring additional fees? Based on what you've seen, would you do a return trip?

Only the 9 sites in the "Local Area" do not incur additional fees. The "X" on some of the sites indicates multiple sites within a site.

I haven't dove Mantigue Island but the dive guide said it is much like Balicasag in Panglao, Bohol.

Old Volcano is a "different" site because the sand is black and makes for good background when taking photos as compared to the usual white sand and coral.

The Manta Rays at Jigdup Reef are not commonplace anymore. The dive guide insists they were fished out by fishermen from Bohol. The "blame game". Regardless who ate them, they are for the most part gone.

I would not return but for my own personal reason which is basically this: After having dove in Mindoro, Negros, Cebu, Bohol, Southern Leyte, Palawan and now Mindanao I feel the diving is pretty much the same throughout the Philippines. It lacks Pelagic life because it has been for the most part fished out for food. The exception may be the Tubbataha Reefs which can only be done by liveaboard. I have not done that trip.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom