Oceanus v alkin w31 ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a878bob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a coltri mch6, that works great, but thinking of upgrading. Seems an oceanus and alkins w31 might be good choices, still relatively small, but can be run continuously

any feedback on one vs the other. Ive seen the alkins w31 is rated for continuous, but cant find that on their website, if anyone has further info on that.

I have a W31. And yes it is actually surprisingly decent "continuous" (couple hours) as long as its not hot. I have refilled storage bottles up to 4500psi for many years with mine but actually getting it serviced or overhauled is questionable.

I would get the Bauer

On the w31, is it the lack of availability of parts, or someone local to service the compressor that you think is the major factor.

On the w31, is it the lack of availability of parts, or someone local to service the compressor that you think is the major factor.
A little of both.
No local distributor/dealer than can say "oh that, that's probably the third stage valve leaking" or whatever
Parts are available (from Alkin USA in NJ) but there's no decent service guide

The W31 in particular has an unbalanced cam shaft which has a spotty longevity. I have 900hrs on mine, but its cold here which I suspect helps. In years past there have been a lot of failures and if it cracks the unit is instantly beyond economical repair.

I have the Alkin W31. Mine has less hours than rjack's but it does work well. I routinely fill a pair of HP 120 steels and it goes beyond 3000 psi nicely. I used to fill my small RB tanks and bailout but now find transfilling from the HP120s easier.

In Canada, the Alkin W31 has to be upgraded to meet CSA standards, which meant a CSA certified motor and new switch, which included a nice hour meter.

I agree with the comment on the crankshaft.

I'm wondering why you're not considering a Coltri MCH-13, 16, or 18. Like you, I'm impressed with the Coltri MCH-6. So I would expect the bigger Coltris to be a good choice as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom