Oceanlog Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunk35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got an Atom 2.0 and use Oceanlog to download the dive data. I've had this computer for maybe 2 years now. Does anyone else have continue quirky issues with Oceanlog? I've always had difficulty with the communication between the dive computer and the pc, no matter what windows version I have been on. (I'm now on win7) Now, after using this for 2 years, it gives me an "Invalid Product" message then closes out the download interface.

Another thing I have always found odd is the number stamped on the Atom 2 for a serial number, is not the number that the device read and set up in the software. It's one number off.

An annoying issue that may be just in the design of the download software (or I don't know how to use it properly), when you download dives, it downloads everything that is on the dive computer every time, not just the dives that aren't already downloaded. You would think there would be a way to delete, or surpress the downloading of everything but the last few dives you want to log. Again, there may be a way, but I haven't found one yet.

Anyone else have issues?

Oceanlog is NOT intuitive. It will work on one computer and not the other. It has driver issues.

I know I sound like an advertisement on this board, but I like Divelog 5.0. You can download a limited demo. The problem with this version of Divelog is that there is not a direct download of your Atom 2 into that software. (They are working on that) You have to import the Oceanlog database to make it work. So IF you ever get your drivers to load under Win 7, it could work for you. So, I download the Atom to Oceanlog, then import the database into Divelog where I add dive information and pictures, etc.

I contacted Oceanic and the tech new exactly what was going on. When the battery gets weak, but not weak enough to trigger the low battery indicator, the computer shuts off peripherals to conserve power. Switching out the battery solved my issue.

As for the other quirks, I'll have to work on those later....

I contacted Oceanic and the tech new exactly what was going on. When the battery gets weak, but not weak enough to trigger the low battery indicator, the computer shuts off peripherals to conserve power.

That's a new one on me. Glad you have it working but I've never heard of a laptop shutting of USB ports to save energy......

Terry, sorry you misunderstood. The dive computer shut down the ability to download due to the battery becoming low. Not the laptop.

I just think it is weird that it would say "invalid product" instead of "low battery". Seems like the latter would be a bit easier to comprehend. Or, they could put a whole message on there that says that downloading has been disabled due to low battery. Oh well. It's working again and I'm pleased once more....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom