Oceanic VT3 possibly acting up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After using without issues for a little over 2 yrs had a little issue recently. First thing was after a flight home I noted that my DC had logged an extra dive and looking at the time and date it was the entire duration of the flight back from Coz. The airplane did take off about 10 mins before my 24 hrs ended and so was probably on at the time of take off. The next thing happened a couple of weeks later after returning from Key Largo when I soaked my equipment. I placed the OFF computer in the rinse tank (6 inches) and it activated and after rinsing for about 3 hrs I downloaded my dives and the rinse was logged as a dive. Is this an issue or just a normal quirk.

Thanks

Craig.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

To me it doesnt sound like anything to serious but it wouldnt hurt to call the Oceanic tech dept. just to make sure.

If you do contact the Oceanic Tech Dept. let us know how that goes......I'm thinking of getting a VT3 or 4 and have read some questionable threads about their customer service of late.......Thanks

I purchased a VT3 a couple of months ago. It's awesome! I called customer service twice in the last 2 months about a different piece of equipment and they were as fantastic as they've ever been.

Not sure why the computer logged a dive for the flight back. That one is odd.

The other issue is completely normal. You have "H2O Activation" on. When the computer got wet, it activated. Just as it should.

Not sure why the computer logged a dive for the flight back. That one is odd.

The other issue is completely normal. You have "H2O Activation" on. When the computer got wet, it activated. Just as it should.

The issue was not that it activated when wet, the issue was that it logged a dive in 6 inches of water - see following post for followup

Thanks to all, I called the Oceanic customer service and they were quick and really helpful and great to talk to.

They were concerned about the fact that it logged a dive in the air and then 3 weeks later after bieng used in Key Largo that it registered a dive after soaking in 6 inches of water. These were all Key Largo reefs and so with Max depths in the 30's I am not overly concerned that it misread depth as if anything it was bieng used mainly as a bottom timer although interestingly when I compare it with my daughters computer our Max depths were the same.

As it turns out I must be narced because it was 4 years old not 2 years old as I had thought - time flies when you are having fun.

They suggested that I return it for service as with both of those events it is unclear if it is a quirck, a sensor issue or a hardware issue. For $160 they will do a full rebuild and return it to me within 5 days with a one year warrantee. Sounds reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom