Oceanic VEO 3.0 - Lockout Cheat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eponym

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I led a dive trip (cold water, liveaboard, California's Nothern Channel Islands) last week with five drysuit students.

One of them had a Veo 3.0 which was set to nitrox mode. Since she was a certified diver I didn't think to check her computer for her. She said it was working well. In retrospect, since she had fewer than 50 dives, I might have asked her to show me.

We were all diving air.

After the third dive her Veo went into lockout mode because it had defaulted to 50% Oxygen between dives - she wasn't resetting it to 21% each dive. The computer thought that her oxygen clock had timed out to 100%.

It was late afternoon, and we were not going to dive again until tomorrow, so she would not be in repetetive dive status next morning. So she could have started the next day with tables.

While I was attempting to find analog gauges on board as a substitute, her husband discovered that, by setting the day to be one day ahead on her computer, he could cancel the lockout.

Neat but potentially dangerous workaround.

Does Oceanic know about this?

Wonder if I could fix a locked-out Shearwater the same way...oh, wait. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom