Oceanic VEO 2/3 VS Suunto Vyper Tons of questions!

Which computer would you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fr8dawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, I am going crazy researching dive computers and have narrowed it down to 3 models based on price and functions/ease of use (I have used a Veo 100 and Suunto Vyper and liked both)

Anyway, I keep hearing how the Suunto RGBM algorythm is overly conservative. Is this true? Is it something to be concerned with? Opinions?

I would like a computer capable of gas switching between dives, and might consider the function of switching gas during a dive for when I get into tech diving later on... although I am not sure a recreational computer like these are what i will be using for tech/deco dives with multiple gasses. Anyone care to elaborate on that subject for me? Should I even be worried about this? I definately need a computer that will allow me to use diferent nitrox mixes on multiple dive sequences... Will the VEO 2.0, 3.0 and or Vyper do this and adjust surface interval credit towards NDL accordingly for the next dive?

I want a computer that will work with MacDive logbook software, so that was another factor that narrowed me down to these 3 units. Not a huge deal, but something I do want in a DC.

And last but not least, personal opinions... do you have one of these computers? What do you like/dislike about them? Do you have any other suggestions for me to consider? EDIT: Mares Puck is also one I am considering... it is much less expensive than the other 3.

Thanks!
~Keith

Last edited:
I've owned a Vyper. Very good and will let you switch gases BETWEEN dives. I'm sure there are other rec computers that will do it too but I also have an Atomic Cobalt and it will let you switch gases DURING a dive. Suunto is conservative but in my opinion, so what. If you're on a dive boat, the dive operator is going to require you to be back on the boat before any computer will require it so it's a mute point for most. Plus, is it a bad thing to be a little safer? IMO, Suuntos and Atomics are the easiest to use with best overall long-term customer service.

Hi:

If you go to DiveNav.com, click on Products, Dive Computer Training and Research, you get to this page. It's good for comparing models and seeing what each does & doesn't do. Some models come optionally with a compass, or not, so be mindful of that.

Rather than get into the other questions, let me address this:

Anyway, I keep hearing how the Suunto RGBM algorythm is overly conservative. Is this true? Is it something to be concerned with? Opinions?

It's been debated on the forum. Here's the gist:

1.) Yes, Suunto has a rep. for more conservative NDLs. On the one hand, this will in theory cut your dives a bit shorter and keep your nitrogen buildup lower, which should in theory keep you 'safer.' On the other hand, it'll also cut your dive time short and tick off buddies with more liberal computers who have to cut their dives short because of your computer. Unless and until I'm shown compelling evidence that the Suunto is actually saving people from serious injury or death, I, as a matter of personal preference that not all share, do not want a conservative algorithm.

2.) A person with a liberal algorithm can also cut his dive time shorter; no law says you have to push your computer's NDLs. On the other hand, if you exceed a conservative computer's NDLs (say, because your buddy's using a liberal computer, you're diving the same profile shoulder-to-shoulder and you've decided 5 more minutes won't be a big deal), not only are alarms apt to squawk at you as the computer tries for your attention, but if you're on a guided 'tourist' dive, and the dive guides back on the boat figure out you exceeded your NDL time, you may be fussed at and benched from diving for the rest of the day.

3.) All that said, some people have posted views to the effect, the difference in actual dive time may not be all that long. I've even seen it insinuated some other algorithms may be dangerously liberal (yet I've seen no compelling evidence to back that up).

4.) All that said, some people really like Suunto dive computers. I've never used one so I can't speak to the aesthetics of the user interface.

5.) Some computers sold today offer a 'dual algorithm' approach, one more conservative, one less.

6.) Algorithms aren't the only issue. I used to use an Oceanic VT3 wrist unit; I now use an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt console. It's my understanding the Cobalt is 'middle of the road' on conservatism, but the ease-of-use intuitive interface is a true joy (compared to dive computers that remind me a changing settings on a digital wrist watch).

Richard.

The new Oceanic Veos have dual algorithm.
We have online classes, simulators, dive planners and dive loggers (windows and iPad ..... Mac coming soon) for all 4 dive computers you mention in your OP.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I use Suuntos most recently Gekko and Vyper, lost the Gekko now just a Vyper, reliable, simple to use, does all I need it to do I like it, bonus being that DSS make a bungee mount for it.

I have a Veo 3. I think the 2 and 3 are basically identical, function-wise, except I think with the 2, you can only go through menus in one direction, whereas with the 3, you can go either way, which is nice if you know that what you're looking for is at the "far" end of the list. The first computer I used was a Veo 100 I rented for a week, liked the data layout, hated the one-button navigation, so I stuck with a Veo but got more buttons. Menus on the 3 are easy to navigate, it will do underwater gas switched (haven't tried that yet though), both mixes can be set from 21-100% O2, but as far as I know, you can't pre-set mix 2 for what you're using on the second dive if you're going to be using a different mix, you'd have to update mix 1 during your SI. (I could be wrong though) I think the Dual algorithm idea is nifty, though I've only used the more liberal one so far (pelagic dsat, which I think is what they use on their single algorithm computers), but I'd rather have the option of making a liberal computer more conservative than having a conservative computer that I can't make more liberal.

The only Suunto I've used/owned has been a gekko. I like it just fine. I currently use a veo 3.0. As has been mentioned, the veo 3.0 has a third button allowing you to scroll both forwards and backwards through the menus rather than missing the one you want and having to scroll all the way through again.

I'm very happy with my veo 3.0 and have no regrets after going through the same thing you are. The decision was made because my Lds carries oceanic.

never used the viper but have used the Veo 3 and loved it. just wish it had the electronic compass....

I know this is a subject that has been beat to death (suunto vs oceanic, liberal vs conservative), but i fo appreciate everyones insight here. I agree that it is easier to dive a liberal computer more conservatively... So i think i will be getting the veo 3.0.

Now, if only DSS will make a bungee wrist mount for it!

I know this is a subject that has been beat to death (suunto vs oceanic, liberal vs conservative), but i fo appreciate everyones insight here. I agree that it is easier to dive a liberal computer more conservatively... So i think i will be getting the veo 3.0.

Now, if only DSS will make a bungee wrist mount for it!

If you didn't mind "butchering" the strap I'm sure you could put holes in strap where case sits in the boot and thread bungee cord through, might not be possible but that's what I'd look at doing. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom