Oceanic Veo 180 battery hatch replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing the the battery for the Veo 180.
I have the new battery in and have replaced the battery retaining bar (ie thin piece of plastic). I have replaced the o-ring with a new one which is lubricated. I was under the impression that once the o-ring is in the groove for the plastic cover you push the plastic cover straight down until it seals in place. The problem is I can't get it to line up properly and then go down. So instead I pushed one side down and then carefully pushed down the opposite end. I can't see the o-ring pushing out but I can't tell if it is properly seated. Also if I let go of the plastic covering it immediately pushes out, so I don't know if this is normal. Once I had the plastic covering pushed down completely I placed the circular plastic ring over and rotated it to lock it in place. Everything appears normal but I am worried about flooding the computer.

So my question is does the plastic covering with the o-ring have to go straight down or can you push down one side and then the next side. If you can't see the o-ring how do you now it is seated properly. Thanks for you help.

Usually I am able to get both sides down at the same time - I'm not sure you'll get the o-ring seated right if you do one side at a time. With the o-ring seated properly, using the battery hatch tool should allow you to push directly down on the back, seating the entire back, and then rotating to lock into position. If it pops back up on one side, it definitely isn't locked down!

If in doubt, get the tech at your LDS to do it for you - it's worth any charge for them to certify it's in correctly!

I just replaced a battery on an Oceanic Veo 180. The black hatch that locks with a 1/16 turn is not where the seal is - the seal is between the case, to o-ring and the clear plastic back. As long as the o-ring is good, has a little (not a lot) of silicone grease, there is no dirt on any of these parts, and the black ring is in place (locked) you should have a good seal. Wether you put one ear in then the other, as long as you get it turned to the lock position, you should be good.

oh, another thing. I didn't have the special tool - I used a mini phillips screwdriver - you just have to spin the black ring the 1/16 of a turn to lock or unlock. The trick is to turn it just rotational force - no side force- you may have to move from one hole to the other - put my point is that you don't really need the special tool if you understand how it works. Of course, the tool makes it easier.

Back
Top Bottom