Oceanic Transmitter Signal Problems caused by battery hatch???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone encountered this? It makes sense sorta but I'm a bit skeptical it works.

So I just bought an Atom 3.0 and gave my GF my VT3 . My atom 3.0 kept losing signal from various positions where I typically have my hand and to isolate the issue to see if it was the new transmitter that came with the atom or the ATOM itself. I programmed the old transmitter into my Atom and it never loses signal.

So that indicates its a transmitter that is the problem. Then just for kicks I moved the VT3 to use the new transmitter and I loses signal all the time from even 2 feet away from the transmitter. Great right? everything points to the transmitter.

So I thought I would have to call oceanic support and get a new transmitter.

Since it was the weekend I wanted to do more test. so for more kicks. I tightened the battery hatch on the new transmitter that was losing signal, and now I never lose signal anymore. The hatch was never loose where you could just UN-tighten easily, it was definitely flush with the transmitter.

1. Does it make sense that I tighten the battery hatch I don't lose signal anymore?? I mean if it has bad electrical contact, then I should never have signal in the first place. Is there an inherent problem with my transmitter? I don't want to find this out in a dive.

2. How hard should I tighten the hatch?? I don't want to damage it. If anyone has an Oceanic transmitter, I realized these things are built with high precision, the Screw driver mark always lines up with the around the FCC code. I lined it up to the Letter "M".

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom