Oceanic Pro Plus 2 vs Pro Plus 3 HP Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divegoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I currently have an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 that is nearing the end of its functional life cycle, and am considering upgrading to the Pro Plus 3. Just wondering if the Pro Plus 3 is compatible with a Pro Plus 2 HP hose. If I can buy just the computer and compass, without the hose, I will have a few more dollars to spend on other dive equipment.

Anyone using a Pro Plus 3 ? Any feedback on its performance ? My LDS is an Aqualung dealer, and is trying hard to get me to go with an i550. Anyone using an i550 and have any feedback on it ?

** Also posted this question in the manufacturers forum ** but also wanted feedback from the end user.

Thanks and dive safe !!

Divegoose

Forget the AL offerings, Oceanic is superior especially since it is dual algorithm.

If you are considering the Pro Plus 3, you should also consider this newer version:

PROPLUS X

But at their prices, I'd consider the offerings from Shearwater and Ratio-Computers, they are probably much better choices.

Last edited:
The i550 is the very old Aeris Atmos AI computer with only PZ+ and no DSAT. Why would you buy this? I still have 2 Pro Plus 2s, work just fine for my wife and daughter. Not sure why your would "upgrade" for no reason.

Are you taking about the SWIV quick disconnect thing?

Just unscrew the adapter from your PP2 and screw it onto the PP3.

You can also just use a normal HP hose if you want.

Not sure why your would "upgrade" for no reason.

My Pro Plus 2 is over 8 years old. The main issue right now is that it starts counting bottom time right at the surface. For example when I dove yesterday the depth was reading 5 feet when the computer was only about a foot underwater, and I had 20 minutes of bottom time before I actually submerged (on a shore dive and had to wait for all the other divers to get in and geared up).

Divegoose

I had my LDS and another dive shop check with the distributor, and was told that the hose for the Pro Plus 2 was not compatible with the Pro Plus 3. :shakehead: I contacted Oceanic directly, and was told that the hose for the Pro Plus 2 WAS compatible with the Pro Plus 3. :thumb2:

I now have a new Pro Plus 3 on the way, and should have it shortly. :thumb: Looking forward to putting it through its paces in Cozumel next month. :D Ironically my Pro Plus 2 has functioned perfectly on the last two dives this past weekend.

Divegoose

My Pro Plus 2 is over 8 years old. The main issue right now is that it starts counting bottom time right at the surface. For example when I dove yesterday the depth was reading 5 feet when the computer was only about a foot underwater, and I had 20 minutes of bottom time before I actually submerged (on a shore dive and had to wait for all the other divers to get in and geared up).

Divegoose
Just out of curiosity, when your PP2 started counting down & showed 20 minutes left while you were at/near the surface, was the water significantly colder than the ambient air temp?

I had a PP2 and I noticed that it sensed the sudden drop in the tank's pressure due to the change in temp as a sudden use of the air in the tank. (The computer sensed the drop in pressure and the rate of the drop, and it calculates the Air time remaining from that change. It can not tell why the pressure changed, only that it has.) Typically, if this is what is happening, it will soon adjust to the "steady state" drop due to your consumption and within a couple minutes, you will be getting a more realistic number again. You may find that this will also happen with your PP3.

Air and water temperature were nearly identical - water was actually warmer than the air.

When I entered the water for the dive, I had to wait for the other divers to get in and finish gearing up - this was a shore dive, and I was standing in the shallows. I looked at the computer prior to submerging, and it showed that I already had 20 minutes of bottom time. The computer has been reading 3 - 4 feet deeper than actual depth for some time now. My regular dive buddy has a Pro Plus 2, and I have a Veo 200 that I wear on my wrist. The depth reading on my buddy's Pro Plus 2 and my Veo 200 will be identical, while my Pro Plus 2 will read three to four feet deeper.

A couple of weeks prior, I arrived at the site and was setting up my gear. I pressed the buttons to start my Pro Plus 2 - it went through the normal procedure of scrolling through everything, and then shut off. I tried this a few more times, and the same thing would happen. Another time that I had been on a dive, I came out and was gearing down - checked the computer and it was still counting bottom time while I was on the surface. :eek:

With the the irregularities happening, I think it is only a matter of time before it fails for good. After 8 plus years of service, it was time to upgrade.

Divegoose

Hi @Divegoose

Sounds like you have taken care of your problem by purchasing the PP3. Your problem with the PP2 might be the pressure sensor, Oceanic may have replaced it inexpensively, Regardless, sounds like you have lost confidence in that computer. I had pressure sensors go out on 2 PPs purchased in 2002, Oceanic sent me 2 refurbished PP2s at no cost as they were no longer able to repair the PP. The PP2s are the ones still in service mentioned in post #3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom