Oceanic OCS surface activation, service dept can't reproduce, what now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingAroundAsia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have an Oceanic OCS. Was warm water, easy diving in the Philippines. After 3 days/ 9 dives (now 182 dives with this computer), I get up in the morning, and I find my computer is in dive mode.

For some reason, after 13hrs 52 minutes, of being on dry land, it spontaneously switched to dive mode, claiming I was between 1.6 meters and 1.8 meters deep. From 5:58am until 3:58pm - 10 hours - it stayed locked in this mode. All while being on my bedside table. (Logs have been saved to my laptop)

So, naturally, I stopped using it, emailed my shop & service centre (both in Australia). Two months later I return, and send my computer in under warranty. 3 weeks later I get it back, and... nothing. They swapped the battery and o-rings, and checked it... but couldn't find anything wrong or reproduce the event. So, they sent it back to me.

Suffice to say, I am concerned. I don't feel I can trust this computer.

So, what should I do now? Is there an Oceanic contact that I could escalate this to? Is this a problem that others are familiar with and resolved?

I have an Oceanic OCS. Was warm water, easy diving in the Philippines. After 3 days/ 9 dives (now 182 dives with this computer), I get up in the morning, and I find my computer is in dive mode.

For some reason, after 13hrs 52 minutes, of being on dry land, it spontaneously switched to dive mode, claiming I was between 1.6 meters and 1.8 meters deep. From 5:58am until 3:58pm - 10 hours - it stayed locked in this mode. All while being on my bedside table. (Logs have been saved to my laptop)

So, naturally, I stopped using it, emailed my shop & service centre (both in Australia). Two months later I return, and send my computer in under warranty. 3 weeks later I get it back, and... nothing. They swapped the battery and o-rings, and checked it... but couldn't find anything wrong or reproduce the event. So, they sent it back to me.

Suffice to say, I am concerned. I don't feel I can trust this computer.

So, what should I do now? Is there an Oceanic contact that I could escalate this to? Is this a problem that others are familiar with and resolved?
This is ancient but I've just come across it and wouldn't mind an ensuing discussion.

I've had similar happen. Near as I could tell, it was because I had rinsed in the sink after diving and set on the counter
IIRC, the contact points, didn't dry out because the dripped water had made a little pool.

Don't worry about. Just dive it, you should be prepared for failure of the dive computer anyway. It should not be an emergency, just a major inconvenience.

If you don't like that, buy another or mail me the computer, but you can't expect a company to fix something that ain't broke.

For me, part of the problem is it sucked battery life

For sure you want to disable the water activation option.
For sure, I don't want to do that. 😀

I want to make sure that I've blown the water lut f the contact points and ensure that i set it on a dry surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom