Oceanic oceanlog 2.2.7 has a 30 dive limit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asxinu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, I have a VT3 dive computer and on a recent dive trip, I decided to download my recent dives. Everything worked fine. So, I now have 30 dives in oceanlog. The following day I go do download my new dives and I find that as before, everything works fine. The dives download with no issues and they are saved. Once saved, I go back into oceanlog and I still have 30 dives. I try again and as before, still only 30 dives. What gives? Does oceanlog have a limit to 30 dives? I get no errors and it all behaves like I am downloading and saving dives. Has anyone ever run across this? I've uninstalled and re-installed the software and have even reloaded the OS on my windows 7 laptop but it still behaves exactly the same.

I believe the number of dives your computer will store is based on the sampling rate. A sampling rate of 15 seconds will require more memory and fewer dives will be able to stored vs. a sampling rate of 1 minute which will give you more stored dives.

If I understand correctly, the issue is that it worked to download & save the original 30 dives, but now doesn't add new dives in addition to that, despite acting like it's saving them. The max. Capacity on the VT3 is not the issue, since over time new dives will over-write the oldest dives one-by-one.

I don't know the problem, but my buddy used an Atom 1.0 on a March Bonaire trip, & it seemed to work but evidently didn't log a single dive of the 18 that trip, despite good batteries & having worked fine in the past.

I, too, would like to know what's going on in your situation.

The software on your pc can hold far more than 30 dives.

I just thought; go into Log mode on your VT3 & look at the first dive that comes up. See if the date is from your new dives. What I want to know is whether your VT3 actually logged the new dives. If not, you can't download what isn't there.

Ok, going into log mode, all the most recent dives are there. I've sent a email to Oceanic's tech support and have not heard back so I think I'll get on the phone with them.

I spoke with Oceanic and I think we came to the conclusion that my data file was corrupt. Sadly, they have no tool to repair a corrupt file but the good news is it is still readable and oddly you can import dives. But even importing dives still did not allow me to download my dives. What I did find out is the following:
I had 30 dives logged. We created a new log file and I was able to re-download all my dives. When I did this, I had 33 dives. So, I printed off a list of dives from the original corrupt file and from the new log file. Sure enough, the new log file had 3 dives that were not showing up in the corrupt log file. Here is the strange part; if I were to export one of the new dives from the new log file and import it into the corrupt file, those 3 missing dives would appear(luckily those 3 dives were pool dives to verify my equipment was working so not too important). So, Oceanic basically said that I should be able to continue downloading to the new dive log but unfortunately, I will need to manually re-enter all my other data like dive gear, buddies and dive sites. Not a big deal just a major pain. Now, I'm thinking what would happen if I delete the mysterious 3 dives from the original file and create a new dive log and then finally import the actual dive log from the corrupt file. Theoretically, I should get all my dives and other data as well as be able to download new dives. Sure enough, this worked like a charm. I was able to import the old data into my new file and then download the new dives.

I have to say, aside from not having a way to fix a corrupt file or download the extra data, oceanic was very helpful.

Since the last oceanlog update (was it 2.2.7?) I have problems, too. Never had those for three years so I guess Oceanic screwed it up. After un-installation and installation it seems to work again, only to quit working again.

Back
Top Bottom