Oceanic GT-3 DVT regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Question: I am looking to purchase te GT-3 DVT reg new. I am looking for honest feedbeck from experienced divers. Can some of you help? I have heard it is too LOUD underwater. Is this true? Also, have you heard them being recalled. Has anyone heard about this with any other reg. Is this an okay reg to buy? If I buy one now, it should be fixed from having the faulty part, right? Please give honest advice of this product...then hopefully I can get some dive time in with you.... (it would be fun)

Question: I am looking to purchase te GT-3 DVT reg new. I am looking for honest feedbeck from experienced divers. Can some of you help? I have heard it is too LOUD underwater. Is this true? Also, have you heard them being recalled. Has anyone heard about this with any other reg. Is this an okay reg to buy? If I buy one now, it should be fixed from having the faulty part, right? Please give honest advice of this product...then hopefully I can get some dive time in with you.... (it would be fun)

Hi electricfish. The Oceanic GT3/CDX5 is a very good regulator. It is made even better by the fact that it can be found pretty inexpensively these days.

We have two instructors and a dive master that use this regulator exclusively. They could have chosen ANY other regulator in the store, since it doesn't cost them a penny. They choose the GT3/CDX5.

If you are interested, take a look at this link.

Oceanic GT3/CDX5 NON-DVT Regulator

Phil Ellis

Oceanic did a voluntary recall of the CDX5 not too long ago. If you buy one new, it will almost certainly have the 'fixes'. But ask the vendor to be sure. If you buy one from Phil, don't bother asking since it WILL have the fixes. He is very on top of this kind of thing. I recall a thread about Oceanic recalls a while ago and the consensus, with which I agree, was that Oceanic does a better job of maintaining quality and safety post-sale thru this mechanism than many other companies thru any mechanism, not that they have a higher incidence of defects.

As far as noise - I have always thought Oceanics to be louder than most others, but not so much as to be a nuisance. I could always tell when my buddy had his Oceanic reg serviced because his pitch and tone would change a little. One round, he wheezed quite a bit and perhaps a bit too much. My CDX5-GT3 is louder than my Aqualung (silent) and my Dive Rite (can hear it if you try), but is not loud enough to annoy me. It was a great value in any case.

I bought the Oceanic regulator. It turns out that it was either 1. not fixed or 2. fixed and not updated on the Oceanic site as having been fixed. I went to an authorized dealer and had it fixed. He charged me $15, which was no big deal. ( I got a credit from where I purchased it, which is 2.5 hours from me.) I amvery happy, except that the authorized dealer, which I got from the Oceanic site would not go and update it on the Oceanic site. So I had to call the place I bought it from and have them update it as having been fixed. I just want it updated on the website. I will let yoiu guys know the outcome... so stay tuned! (This "fix" refers to the recall of the HP seal)
Jeremy

Happy Diving!

Hi all,
Is anyone diving the gt3 cdx5 reg set to 160fsw?
I am wanting some real world info on its breathing charicteristics at depth. It has a good {jouled} number, but how does it perform?
Eric

Send a pm to Jimlap here on the board if he doesn't chime in. I've talked to him about the GT3 before, and if I recall correctly, he uses it as his backup for tech diving, along with a Delta 3 as his primary.

I have 2 GT3s with the CDX5 1st stage, my dad also owns 2 of the same. I have never noticed them to be noisy, they have been very reliable, my only issue has been getting service from a reasonable dealer. I'm just going to ship them to scubatoys.com from now on for any service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom