Oceanic Geo /Veo as 1st computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flotsam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a new diver and need to get my first DC. I am Nitrox certified and don't plan on diving beyond rec limits. When I get to the coast to dive, I tend to do repetitive dives over a few days.

In comparing DCs, I kind of like the Oceanic algorithm vs Suunto or Cressi. I know my bottom time is limited by air now, but was hoping the DC would grow with me over a couple of years, instead of being locked into a conservative one. The computers I've compared are Suunto Zoop Novo, Cressi Giotti, & Oceanic Geo 2/ Veo 3, and are running ~$275 to $350. I've heard the Oceanic is a pain to learn, but with the online class is fine.

LP has the closeout Oceanic Veo 3 for $275 & the Geo 2 for $350. There isn't really much difference between the two, is there? Would the Veo 3 work for a new diver or should I just go with the basic Zoop?

Thanks!

I'm a new diver and need to get my first DC. I am Nitrox certified and don't plan on diving beyond rec limits. When I get to the coast to dive, I tend to do repetitive dives over a few days.

In comparing DCs, I kind of like the Oceanic algorithm vs Suunto or Cressi. I know my bottom time is limited by air now, but was hoping the DC would grow with me over a couple of years, instead of being locked into a conservative one. The computers I've compared are Suunto Zoop Novo, Cressi Giotti, & Oceanic Geo 2/ Veo 3, and are running ~$275 to $350. I've heard the Oceanic is a pain to learn, but with the online class is fine.

LP has the closeout Oceanic Veo 3 for $275 & the Geo 2 for $350. There isn't really much difference between the two, is there? Would the Veo 3 work for a new diver or should I just go with the basic Zoop?

Thanks!

The VEO 3.0 would defiantly work for a novice diver but like any and all computers read the manual and have a basic understanding of its operation prior to diving. The VEO 3.0 is a three button computer which makes its use much simpler than a VEO 1.0 or 2.0 (or any other single or dual button puck) Also it is a dual algorithm computer so you would have the more liberal DSAT algorithm or the more conservative PZ+ (Buhlmann ZHL-16C) algorithm available. Now to sound like a broken record from other threads you might look at the Aeris A300 off Amazon (Prime Scuba) it’s the same basic computer from PPS as the VEO 3.0 and it is still warrantied by Oceanic for 2 years(I received a warranty unit back last night with only a 4 business day turn around). My personnel opinion is the A300’s screen layout is a little simpler and more intuitive than the VEO 3.0 and they are selling for $199.

Go with the Oceanic computers and forget about Suunto and especially the Cressi.

I recommend the Veo 2 and up (the Veo 1 and 3 are being phased out).

Hi msbovary,

An Oceanic computer would make a fine 1st computer. The Veos are pucks and the Geo is a large watch. See @gopbroek post, above re algorithm. Not that it makes a huge difference but the Veo 1 and Veo 3 have been discontinued by Oceanic, only the Veo 2 will continue in this line. I'm sure they will continue to be supported.

upload_2016-11-26_14-20-28.png

I have had a Geo 2 as backup for more than 5 years, more than 700 dives. It has been flawless, battery change is a cinch. It is also a 3 button (plus a 4th for backlight) I actually find it very easy to use. The current sale price is good, you will also need a download cable if you'd like to take advantage of that feature

Good diving, Craig

Thank you guys for the feedback & suggestions! I'm feeling pretty good about the Oceanics now, & really like the Aeris option. I had seen it mentioned, but never looked close enough to see it was essentially the Veo 3. With the price diff, I could get the Aeris A300 & a puck ($150) or something as back up. I'm planning a couple day liveaboard trip & am paranoid about an accidental lockout or malfunction...

I'm going to take a closer look at the layout & operation of the Aeris/Veo3/Geo2 & make my decision. As long as they are all going to supported for a couple years, sounds like any one will be great.

Thanks again!

I have the Geo 2.0 as my first computer. The manual is horrid and you need to pay $8 for an online class (DiveNav website), but it's great once you figure it out. Easy enough to program for nitrox (as I had to do several weeks ago for my nitrox class).

Definitely Oceanic based on the choices you mentioned. Veo or Geo are both similar function wise. Geo is physically smaller, but otherwise, they'll be very similar. I found the Oceanic interface to be very easy to learn. Especially when the computer has 3 or more buttons.

I dive with a VT 4.1, and got a Veo 2.0 for my daughter. Algorithms are identical, and interface is nearly identical. Only difference is that my VT adds wireless AI, and the third button lets me go back in the menu. Veo 2.0 only has two buttons, so if I go past a menu option, I need to keep going until it comes back around.

I currently dive rec and use a VEO 2.0. The oceanic website has the full manual you can download. I picked up one with a couple dives for 125$, and have had no troubles using it as I printed the manual and keep in my dive bag. The "letter" scheme is not easy to memorize, check the manual and you will see that the "letter" is essentially an outline into certain features to program. I have over 100 dives on mine using the less conservative algorithm option. I really like being able to find the battery at almost any drugstore, very convenient.

Thanks! I had heard it was pretty non-intuitive o_O. Keeping a copy of the manual close is a great ideal, for any DC I get.

I currently dive rec and use a VEO 2.0. The oceanic website has the full manual you can download. I picked up one with a couple dives for 125$, and have had no troubles using it as I printed the manual and keep in my dive bag. The "letter" scheme is not easy to memorize, check the manual and you will see that the "letter" is essentially an outline into certain features to program. I have over 100 dives on mine using the less conservative algorithm option. I really like being able to find the battery at almost any drugstore, very convenient.

Veo is a great choice for a first (or second) computer.

The only reason to not get one is that it doesn't have a stopwatch or if you would prefer an OLED screen.

Another minor negative is the $100 download cable.

It will work all the way through for any diving (I still use one on my tech dives!)

_R

Back
Top Bottom