Oceanic GEO - How sturdy is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khsjsilver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at buying a dive computer and I like the idea of being able to wear it like a watch. I have been seriously considering the Oceanic GEO. How sturdy are these wrist watch computers? When I go on vacation, I only like to take one watch and after I dive, I am pretty active. I play tennis, waterski, windsurf, sail, etc. Can the wrist watch dive computers stand up to the rigors of the other sports?

Thanks,

Ken

It's fine, except four things:

1. I discovered that it is easy to loose that small (i don't know what is called) thing that holds the bracelet's free end if you forget the bracelet open (fortunately when it happened I found it, and now I always keep it closed).
2 The screen protector that you apply over the screen will develop some marks where the DC cable clip catches it (the clip crushes it and it loses its transparency over that spot)
3. The computer lacks a vertical speed indicator (it only has vertical speed alarm); this annoyed me the most.
4. When the battery is low on power (but not that low to generate the alarm - the computer still considers it fine) you will get errors when you try to download profiles on the computer. Replacing the battery fixes this.

Otherwise, it will survive fine what you asked. The build is solid (for example, the bracelet is installed with screws, instead of the normal telescope pin).

Most major brands have similar ones. First you need to decide what you are looking for out of a dive watch.... then decide if it fits what you are looking for.

If you want one that you can expand down the road, you might want to go to the Atom 2 instead. Later on you could add a transmitter......

Are you freediving or scuba?
Is your eyesight good or bad?
What budget are you working with?
Are you doing air, nitrox or trimix?
Is this going to be your primary dive computer down the road or a backup?
What LDS brands are around you so you can get warranty service done?

What are you looking for in a watch? What do you think would be ideal and why? What has brought you to this decision you have narrowed to now?

And you thought you were just going to get a quick answer........ :rofl: You have to make sure it is suited to your needs.......

Back
Top Bottom