Oceanic Geo, Geo 2 or Tusa Zen IQ900

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishydiver123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a new watch-sized computer to replace an ageing VEO 100. I think I've narrowed it down to these three but can't make the final decision as to which one to buy. The original Geo is available reconditioned from Oceanic at £120, but I know it had a few problems. The other two are around the £230 mark, so price doesn't really separate them. Any experience with any of these computers, particularly the Zen - I can barely find a thing about it?

Thanks

I have both a Geo and a Geo 2.0. I have never had any problems with either. I think the user interface on the Geo 2.0 is easier to use

Currently working on my third Zen. First had spontaneous time resetting issues. Second flooded at 33 feet (three months old). Third will probably be my last.

You might ask what 'reconditioned' means, if you'd like the lower price point, specifically does it mean the battery drain issue was fixed. I have a Manta (=Geo) and like its readability - it's really just a wrist-mount gauge for me, with logging - and it seems more physically rugged than say, the Suunto Mosquito I had. If the reconditioning was to fix the notorious battery problem, and they are willing to warranty against that (it may not show up for 2 years or more until the 1st battery change), that seems like a good deal.

I can't speak to the relative quality of your choices. I like my Manta, but it was really only good for 2 yrs before problems arose, though the battery thing was the only one that rendered it truly useless for diving or wearing. Since then, I've spent another US$200 in repairs, and now have a new unit with a one year warranty. I suppose that's not the worst quality experience imaginable - down-norming expectations from regular consumer electronics to dive-'quality' stuff - but I really can't say how it stacks up typically to other brands and models.

They may all be made by the same company, but I know that the Geo 2 has the best reputation for reliability out of the 3. I'm leaning towards the Geo 2 even more now, although the Suunto D4i also looks tempting. Any advice as to gas integration and free usb software on the D4i vs 2 gas switching on the Geo 2?

I'm waiting to here from Oceanic about whether the recon Geos are 'cured' of battery drain issues, but I think I'll probably splash out for something that's going to last anyway.

If I understand correctly, the Geo 2 didn't have the battery problem. Whether they fixed the v1.0 during production runs, I haven't heard. There's some lingering mystery in my mind why they continued to make, or at least distribute, watches in several lines even after the problem was known and the apparent hardware fix was available. From what I read, they even launched a new line, the Aeris freedive watch, with the problem uncured. You'd think, in the face of the continuing ill will generated, that they would be more forthright about the nature and extent of the problem and the fix, so users and prospective customers could determine their best course of action, and the companies could enjoy some good buzz for doing the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom