Oceanic Delta 4 Regulator

• Operation

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Controls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I purchased a once used Delta 4 regulator from a close friend who purchased it new for his daughter, who later they found out was allergic to diving. Or just breathing under water. I'm newer to diving but I did my due diligence and read all the reviews and it seemed like it was a good fit and would grow with me as my skills advanced. I've dove 8 times with it and I really enjoy it. Backing up, I also purchased the Oceanic FDX10 w/DVT as part of the package. My question is, I did not get the manual. My friend could not find it. Before I dove my 1st dive I brought it to my local dive shop and it tested great. It was new, so I pretty much bet it would. While diving salt water in depths from 20' to 40' I twist at the air adjustment valve on the left side and switch and toggle the top venture (?) lever to the left and right. I really don't feel any breathing difference. I have a Nitrox (yes I read 40%) class in August. I also have a deep diver training class in September. I'm sure there is a factory setting for the regulator. The only issue I've ever had is while snorkling back to a boat or shore the regulator while down by my side will "freeflow" every once in a while. I flip it over and it stops. My opinion is this is a good thing. Air is pretty important. I just would like to set the factory pre sets properly and know how the two adjustments work. I've been to the Oceanic site. They have a generic regulator manual. It states on the Delta 3 the top switch should be to the right pre dive, and the air adjustment valve should be all the way counter clock wise then clock wise a 1/2 turn to full turn. Is that correct?
Thanks.

I have 3 Delta IVs. I can never remember which way the top switch goes or which way the knob turns. Sometimes I get freeflows, so I just turn the knob.

Don't worry about factory settings, there aren't any.

Most people won't notice any difference in breathing effort in less than 60 fsw. When you're at 80-100fsw, turning the knob will make the difference more apparent.

You're not losing much air when it freeflows. By grabbing it and turning it over, you're making the fastest adjustment available. You might lose 10-20lbs of air when it happens, if that.

It's a great reg. Get out and dive it!

Send me your address and I'll send you a manual.

The top switch is only to help prevent freeflows. If you look in the mouthpiece while moving the switch you'll see it simply positions a gate to restrict the water rushing into the mouthpiece. It does little to restrict breathing and I can just barely tell when I've forgotten to flip it as I submerge.
The air adjustment however is another story. You turn it enough to start closing it and you'll feel the flow change. Turn it the opposite way enough and the reg will seem to push air at you. There is no right or factory setting to this control it's a comfort setting. One thing to help prevent freeflows besides flipping the switch before you release the reg when changing over to your snorkel. Crank the airflow way down on the reg and then hit the switch. If you need to go back on the reg it will feel a bit firm to breath on until you readjust it.

Thanks. I'm heading out Saturday morning. It is a great reg.
I would appreciate the manual. Just to review.

Jim Haag
PO Box 377
Toms River, NJ 08754

Click on the link in my post above and the PDF of the manual will download.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom