Oceanic Delta-4 Regulator issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan_FL

Registered
Reaction score
I am fairly new to diving, and I have always used rental gear until today when I finally purchased my own gear.

I bought an Oceanic Delta-4 regulator, and took it into the pool for a test. When I take it out of my mouth under water, it starts free-flowing until I put it back in my mouth, or put my thumb over the mouth piece. When I used to use the rental gear, if this happened, I would just turn the mouthpiece face down for a second, and maybe shake it a little, and then it wouldn't free flow anymore whether it was face up or down. However when I try that with this regulator, it will still continue to free flow any time the mouthpiece is pointed even slightly upwards.

Can anyone advise me as to what is going on please?

Thanks,
Bryan

You went and bought an excellent regulator that is well adjusted, that's all. It could be readjusted so that it does not freeflow as easily ... but the price that you'd pay is that it would not breathe quite as easily.

Last edited:
Ahh, ok, so I guess I'll just have to be more conscious of my regulators position when it's not in my mouth. Do you have any tips for keeping this from happening on the surface while swimming to/from the boat?

Ahh, ok, so I guess I'll just have to be more conscious of my regulators position when it's not in my mouth. Do you have any tips for keeping this from happening on the surface while swimming to/from the boat?

...um, you might try using the 'detune' knob on the side of the 2nd-stage to 'turn-it-down' when out of the mouth so it doesn't free flow..

There are two adjustments on the Delta 4

There is a knob on the left side, if you turn it counter clockwise it makes the breathing effort easier, if you turn in clockwise it makes it harder. From the factory if turned all the way counter clockwise the reg will leak just a little.

The second adjustment, which is more critical of free flows is the switch on the top of the reg near the mouth piece. With the switch pushed to the left a vane will turn sideways just inside the mouth piece. This helps create back pressure and stop free flows. With the switch to the right the vane is straight, which makes the flow of are smoother and easier to breath, but also easier to free flow.

Hi Brian,
I am a new diver as well, and i purchased the same regulator. i had similiar experiences in the pool before heading out with the new regulator, I just adjusted the knob on the left until it stopped freeflowing and that i was still comfortable with the inhalation.
Phenomenal regulator.
Marc

I have the same reg. Online Manual for Delta 3, reads the same for the Delta 4.

"The Delta 4 feature a Pre-Dive / Dive switch located on top of the body.

Placing the switch in the left ( - ) position (Pre-Dive) reduces, or eliminates, the possibility of high volume free-flow when the mouthpiece is not in your mouth. Placing the switch in the right ( + ) position (Dive) provides optimum performance during a dive

The Delta 4 provides a breathing effort adjustment (knob on the side of the body) that enables you to adapt breathing performance to different diving conditions

By turning the adjustment knob 'clockwise' breathing resistance (effort) is increased.This is done to prevent undesirable loss of breathing gas (free flowing) that often occurs when a high performance regulator second stage is connected as an octopus second stage, or when the primary second stage is not in the diver’s mouth, such as when surface snorkeling

Turning the adjustment knob 'counter clockwise' decreases breathing resistance and reduces work of breathing. Adjustment should be used to improve performance, it should not be used as a method to use less breathing gas. During periods of heavy exertion underwater, and to compensate for the effects of depth, it is advantageous to have a regulator that can provide minimal inhalation resistance and optimal performance when desired."

I forgot to switch my dive to pre-dive during my rescue scenario and it free flowed on the surface. The exercise was halted as there was a fear that a true free flow was occurring (due to possible ice, our rescue scenarios were done with an air temp of 45).

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Oceanic forum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom