Oceanic Datamax II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Babelfish

Reaction score
Someone has offered me their 10-year-old Oceanic Datamax II computer. Since I do not own one yet, it seems like a good deal. Does anyone have any thoughts on buying an old computer to dive with, or experience with this model in particular?

Babelfish:
Someone has offered me their 10-year-old Oceanic Datamax II computer. Since I do not own one yet, it seems like a good deal. Does anyone have any thoughts on buying an old computer to dive with, or experience with this model in particular?

Is that a computer, or just a bottom timer?

Babelfish,
I've been diving a DataMax Pro + for 5 years. My wife just got her OW. I bought her a new DataMax Pro +2. I love my wife.
You didn't state how much your friend wanted for the computer.
You can contact Oceanic directly and they will do a check and calibration for you for about $100 to $125.
If you want more detailed info, PM me.

Dennis

I guess I asked something of a rhetorical question, since I own two of these fine units. No, it is not a computer. It is a mechanical depth gauge, with a digital timer built in. These things are getting old, the batteries are dying, there are a lot of them out there, and they can be bought very cheaply. I just replaced the batteries in one of mine today -- I hope it doesn't leak tomorrow.

Parts and tools required:
* Strap wrench
* #0 phillips screwdriver
* Two LR44 (or radio shack 357) batteries
* Silicone lube

I gripped the clear housing in the strap wrench, and unscrewed the bottom. It is very tight and can be a tough nut to crack, but they are right hand threads and the bottom unscrews just like a jar lid with enough persuasion.

There's two set screws in there that can be tweaked, if needed. One of them is the zero stop for the gauge needle, the other adjusts the dive/surface threshold depth for the digital timer. It's best to leave them alone if all was well before the battery died.

I'll let you figure the rest out. Enjoy your new purchace. I hope you didn't pay too much. :)

Now if I could just make a wrist-mount for this thing...

-Tiny-B

I have a 12 year old DataMax II (it is a bottom timer, not a full on computer) with dead batteries that I contacted Oceanic about. They do not service this model anymore, but will give you a credit towards a new, current computer. Not a bad deal for something that is essentially useless otherwise.

Good to see there might be a DIY solution as well. I looked all over the web previously and found no information at all.

Info from Oceanic Customer Service

Unfortunately service on the DataMax and DataMax II is no longer
available. Due to the unavailability of some the critical components that
are required replacement during each service, we no longer offer a Full
Service and Calibration on this unit. When service was available the cost
was roughly $100.00. However, since this option is no longer available we
offer an upgrade to any of our current computers at roughly 40% off MSRP,
Computers such as to the Veo 100 for $175.00, or Veo 200 for $250.00.
ead Please be aware that the analog depth gauge does operate independently
of the digital timer, so as long as the depth is accurate the unit will
still function perfectly as a Depth Gage.

The Oceanic DataMax or DataMax II analog maximum depth gauge with built in
bottom timer, surface timer and dive counter. The Datamax was our very
first digital instrument, introduced in the early-eighties. Datamax II was
released a short while later with an increased battery life. Although
Datamax was extremely popular the Datamax series was discontinued many
years ago because advances in technology and declining demand for the
Datamax dramatically narrowed the price gap between Datamax and full
computers that have many more features.

As with virtually all digital dive instruments from that period of time,
the available technology did not allow any service in the field. Any needed
repairs, including battery change, required Factory Service and
Calibration. However, effective September 15, 2000, Oceanic is only able
offer an upgrade to a new computer (at a reduced price) if service is
requested for a Datamax or Datamax II. This is necessary because some of
the required replacement service parts can no longer be obtained.
Theoretically, we could have these parts custom-made, but the total cost
would force the charge to the owner to exceed the cost of a new instrument.

Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to obtain an
Return Authorization Number to return your computer for an upgrade.

The Oceanic Datamax was a computer if you are talking Europe. The timer above is confused as the same as the US model is similarly called.

Suggest you clarify!!

Chris

Hi
I have just bought a Datamax II in the UK and was told by my dive centre to trash it, batteries were not available. Thanks to this link, have just replaced the two batteries myself for less than £1 or $1. This forum is just great. Thanks Guys.

Hi, I just tried all this successfully except that the screen just displays the "test 8's" across the screen. It was working fine previously. Any help on that???

How much? With the accessability to used equipment it really is not worth much. Get into the 90's and buy a good used air or nitrox computer capsule. They range in price but good units start at $45.00.

I have a Datamax 2 that I just installed a battery in and got the 8's as well. I emailed Oceanic, no response. So I figured what the heck, using a small piece of wire I momentarily touched one end to the plus (top) side of the battery, and the other to the Y or wishbone shaped piece of brass. Screen cleared. When tested worked as it should.
MacLachlan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom