Oceanic DataMask Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USMCRet

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This evening I had a chance to test the new Oceanic DataMask. I have written a review of my experience with this new dive computer/mask on my scuba forum...

http://www.dentondivers.com/forum

Please stop by and take a look....

USMCret

Tactical to Practical. :D I wonder if ScubaToys will be selling their "demos" at a discount... :huh:

They are not Scuabtoys Demos they are Oceanics Demos and they are making a grand tour through the summer. Dealers have to put in their requests for the demo dates they want and then they can have access up to 21 units. We are requesting our demo a little closer to the release date in June 2007.

I got to see dive with it at ScubaToys pool on Wednesday night. Essentially the VT3 computer built into it, with a display at the bottom right, below your normal field of vision, so no obstruction. Very nicely made. Very comfortable. Very cool. But very expensive. It was also nice to meet Doug, and Darrell, the Oceanic reps we hear from on this Board. Really nice guys.
Tom

yes it is amazing, I tried it in my LDS, I wish I could afford it! Oceanic could really bring the price down and revolutionize the diving industry if more people could afford it!

It really is an amazing mask. I have been using it for about six months now and really love it. The display is set up very well and gives you all the information that you need. The loss of vision on the right side is a real bummer, but due to refraction, you can see a diver slightly behind you on the left through the side window. It is also pretty high volume so clearing can be a pain, especially for new divers.

I do have one major beef with it though. The strap adjusters are not very good. They have a tendency to come loose. I have experienced this as well as one of my students. I just used small zip ties to lock it in place. However, since this is an expensive mask, that really should be looked into.

Another useful idea is I attached a small bungee to the mask with a clip at the other end that I attach to my d-ring. You definitely don't want to lose this baby in rough surf or current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom