Oceanic Data Plus NDL issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NitrogenSweater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

just bought a used oceanic data plus from my local shop, and when using it on dives (shallow, about 20 ft max) the NDL display shows 9:59 the entire time I am underwater, and as soon as I surface, it shows me a seemingly random number in the dive log mode for my NDL (as low as 1 minute remaining at 20ft for a 40 min dive, or something a bit more reasonable, 1:30 or so)

I'm unsure of what to make of this. There is an air bubble, and what looks like liquid around the clear housing, but it seems like some of these computers were filled with oil, so I am not sure what to make of that either.

Has anyone had any experiences like this? my instructor and the shop maintain that the computer isn't showing me NDL because I'm too shallow, and that it will "tell me something when it needs to" ,but I am nervous to go deeper and risk not having access to my NDL (although tables are always an option)

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Best,

Nitrogen sweater

Also noting that my ascent rate was listed as WAY TOO FAST on a very very mild ascent from 18 feet, not sure if that helps.

Hey all,

just bought a used oceanic data plus from my local shop, and when using it on dives (shallow, about 20 ft max) the NDL display shows 9:59 the entire time I am underwater, and as soon as I surface, it shows me a seemingly random number in the dive log mode for my NDL (as low as 1 minute remaining at 20ft for a 40 min dive, or something a bit more reasonable, 1:30 or so)
The 9:59 sounds like a default max, which makes sense for the shallow dives you are talking about. That part seems normal. Many computers these days just display 99 as a max. For 20' dives, the NDL is ridiculously long, so no worries there.

I'm more concerned about it displaying 1 minute remaining in the log for that dive you mentioned. Something seems off there, but I don't know what.

Are you able to download the dives from the computer? I'm familiar with Oceanics, just not that one. A download and view of the profile would be helpful if possible.

If you are nervous, just dive it deeper with a buddy and compare the depth readings. If the depths match and it boots up properly before the dive, it is very unlikely that the computer is messed up or will give you bad data or decompression information. Not sure about bubbles in display?

Also, you can throw an ascent speed violation by simply picking up the console from hanging below you to your face. If the computer flashes an ascent warning for a moment, it can be ignored, if it is not representative of your ascent. However, the violation will be stored and most computers will bitch about it on the surface interval.

That computer is so old (c1996) it is not even on the "OBSOLETE – NO LONGER SERVICEABLE" list from Oceanic. Compare it to tables using plan mode, compare it to a buddy's computer, and toss it if you are not comfortable with it, I hope you didn't pay too much for it!

The 9:59 sounds like a default max, which makes sense for the shallow dives you are talking about. That part seems normal. Many computers these days just display 99 as a max. For 20' dives, the NDL is ridiculously long, so no worries there.

I'm more concerned about it displaying 1 minute remaining in the log for that dive you mentioned. Something seems off there, but I don't know what.

Are you able to download the dives from the computer? I'm familiar with Oceanics, just not that one. A download and view of the profile would be helpful if possible.
Worth trying to track down one of the infared links and running some old software in compatibility mode. Like others said, it's so darn old who knows. Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on the NDL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom