Oceanic computer issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

san diego diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have 2 Oceanic Pro X's and an OC1
Both have a "Safety feature" (Quote from the Oceanic Tec service girl Kristen)
If you set them to Nitrox and are not in and under water within 10 minutes, it reverts back to air
I have had Oceanic computers for 25 years and this is a new "FEATURE" they have implemented in the newest generation computers
I was told "Well, I ALWAYS set my computer once in water" by the agent
I have had many other Oceanic computers and they had the "sleep" feature after one hour.
While irritating, you at least had time to gear up, set nitrox and start dive before being forced back to "AIR Mode"
Apparently, this is acceptable to the tec service and management
Looks like I will be taking my older Pro Plus 4 and using it
Anybody want to buy a watch or computers?

I have 2 Oceanic Pro X's and an OC1
Both have a "Safety feature" (Quote from the Oceanic Tec service girl Kristen)
If you set them to Nitrox and are not in and under water within 10 minutes, it reverts back to air
I have had Oceanic computers for 25 years and this is a new "FEATURE" they have implemented in the newest generation computers
I was told "Well, I ALWAYS set my computer once in water" by the agent
I have had many other Oceanic computers and they had the "sleep" feature after one hour.
While irritating, you at least had time to gear up, set nitrox and start dive before being forced back to "AIR Mode"
Apparently, this is acceptable to the tec service and management
Looks like I will be taking my older Pro Plus 4 and using it
Anybody want to buy a watch or computers?
Are you sure you mean OC1? That's a 12-13 year old computer that does not have that new "feature." At least, mine doesn't.
There may be a misunderstanding about the manual for the OC1. It says,:
1653701283362.png

So you set (say) 32% as Gas 1. It stays set that way. What the manual means is after a dive, it stays as Gas 1 until you dive, and then for 10 minutes after a dive. it can't be changed...to Gas 2 or reset to (say) 28%, because the OC! allows you to be at the surface for 10 minutes before "ending" the dive. That way you can bob up in the middle of a dive and not have the computer log two separate dives.

Are you sure you mean OC1? That's a 12-13 year old computer that does not have that new "feature." At least, mine doesn't.
There may be a misunderstanding about the manual for the OC1. It says,:
View attachment 725111
So you set (say) 32% as Gas 1. It stays set that way. What the manual means is after a dive, it stays as Gas 1 until you dive, and then for 10 minutes after a dive. it can't be changed...to Gas 2 or reset to (say) 28%, because the OC! allows you to be at the surface for 10 minutes before "ending" the dive. That way you can bob up in the middle of a dive and not have the computer log two separate dives.
I have an OC1
It was just replaced as a repair was needed to the transceiver due to it no longer reading PSI of tank
Firsty dive I set computer, lifted my gear up and put it on, then jumped off boat.
10-11 minutes
when I was on the dive, I saw it was on air mode already .
I contacted Kristen (Oceanic tec rep) and she said the new software had a 10 minute interval before their new computers go to sleep , than it resets to air.
I have two Pro X's and they are the same.
I have to toggle to keep it awake and avoid them resetting to air
I have had many Oceanic computers in the past (I have a Pro 3 and 4 also , which have an hour before going to sleep and resetting to air)
Once dove successfully in nitrox. they stay set for 24 hours though, so you just have to get past the insane 10 minute reset mode on dive 1
One of my Pro X's just stopped charging and if its not covered under warranty , I will not be paying for the rebuild due to this
I will put the $$$ towards another manufacture computer.
To bad, I loved my Oceanics until this

I have an OC1
It was just replaced as a repair was needed to the transceiver due to it no longer reading PSI of tank
Firsty dive I set computer, lifted my gear up and put it on, then jumped off boat.
10-11 minutes
I contacted Kristen (Oceanic tec rep) and she said the new software had a 10 minute interval before their new computers go to sleep , than it resets to air.
I have had many Oceanic computers in the past (I have a Pro 3 and 4 also , which have an hour before going to sleep and resetting to air)
Once dove successfully in nitrox. they stay set for 24 hours though, so you just have to get past the insane 10 minute reset mode on dive 1
One of my Pro X's just stopped charging and if its not covered under warranty , I will not be paying for the rebuild due to this
My OC1 was also just replaced. It does NOT toggle back to air once set to Nitrox,
There is no new software. Check the Firmware in the OC1. I'll bet it is 1F.04, just like mine.

Oceanic computers reset to air after a 2 hour surface interval when first set. After set to nitrox, and dived, the computers do not reset to air until after 24 hours.

Oceanic computers reset to air after a 2 hour surface interval when first set. After set to nitrox, and dived, the computers do not reset to air until after 24 hours.

I used to Dive Oceanic all the time and this is the behavior I remember.

- brett

PS - I still have an Oceanic OCi and an Atom 3.1.

I sometimes use the OCi as a backup to my Shearwater when I'm diving OC on a single tank (which is pretty rare) but the Atom is sitting in a drawer. I'm almost positive it exhibits the 2 hour / 24 hour behavior @scubadada mentions.

The Atom needs a new battery but it probably works just fine. If you still want to dive Oceanic, you can have the Atom if you want. Just make a donation to your favorite dive related charity.

LMK and I can drop it off at the Marissa boat next time I'm in San Diego diving.

- brett

PS - I think the Oceanic tech you spoke to is full of sh*t. According to the Oceanic webpage, the latest firmware for the OC1 is F2B05 / version 1E04 dated 6/11/2012. Ten years ago.

Also, note that for the OCi, the latest firmware release notes have this:

In response to input received from users of the OCi, Oceanic has corrected or modified the following item to improve the OCi’s operation:
• Saving the FO2 setting during 24 hours surface after a dive.

I set my OC1 to Nitrox earlier today. 2h26m later, it is still set on Nitrox. I'll keep checking.

I have an OC1
10-11 minutes
This would be totally unacceptable to me. How can they do something so stupid? Even an hour is short.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom