Oceanic CDX 5 - metal noise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last year about four dives after sericing, I heard loud noise sounding like metal durign diving wie the oceanic CDX5 regulator. It worked wll - just the noise made me worry.
I had it checked during my holiday. The technician of the resort said, the coer of the first stage was too tight. He loosened it al bit, so the noise was much less. I could still use the regulator without any problems, doing about max. 30 dives with it.

Now, time is short before the next die trip, and the Oceanic dealer has moved.
The next servicing would be due in summer.
Could I just use the regulator for max. 15 more dies and then get it serviced? Is it a big repair?

Best regards, Liberty

It's very difficult to diagnose any issue remotely and I'm have no idea the technician meant by the "cover" of the first stage. The environmental end cap is a hand-tight only and I can't imagine how, whether loose or tight, it would make any noise. Nor can I remotely imagine anyone recommending loosening the diaphram clamping ring, which would be a big no-no. So, I'm not sure what he did unless he tweaked the IP a little with a hex wrench.

It is not uncommon for first stages to make a whistling sort of noise after service. Sometimes its an issue with the seat/cone interface and sometimes it's just a random harmonic and you have to flip a spring over or something (odd, but sometimes is the case). Usually it is just an annoyance as long as the first stage is performing well, locking up at the right IP and holding it. BUT, there's no way anyone can diagnose that over the internet.

So, I would check with other shops to see if they can service your first stage. Don't have to be an Oceanic dealer, only certified to work on their regs. Assuming they have a parts kit on hand, servicing your regulator doesn't take long.

At a minimum, I'd have it checked to make sure it is locking up at the right pressure, not creeping and delivering gas without an unusual drop in IP. Any shop should be able to help with that if you don't have an IP gauge. Better, go ahead and get it serviced.

Is your CDX equipped with the DVT mechanism to keep water out of the first stage? If so it is very likely it is causing the noise. This is fairly common and can be remidied a couple of different ways. I'm also curious what the resort "Tech" loosened on your first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom