Oceanic ATOM 2.0 Err message - help appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pbgeo

New
Reaction score
So recently I entered the water and forgot to change the Atom’s mode from Watch Mode to Surface Mode before. I realized it a few meters under the water and tried to change it then, but instead of entering the right mode I received ‘Err’ message. I thought this may be some sort of the penalty and I simply have to wait 24 hours but it did not disappeared after that time, so I removed the battery for a few hours but also without any result, finally I tried to upgrade firmware but none of the applications from oceanicworldwide.com/temp could identify my computer ;-( (I don't remember which one, but could swear that one of them upgraded my firmware few months ago). Finally I found the addendum to Atom manual were one can read: If this (Err message) occurs, the ATOM 2.0 must be returned to the factory for evaluation/service prior to any further use for diving activities….

So looks like I made a crime not setting the right mode, and now have to pay… Thing is however that sending it from Poland to ‘factory’ (I guess in US) is really quite expensive and time consuming, so I can probably forget about using my Atom this year (I dive only in summer) – besides you do not know what will be the repair cost and if it makes sense at all. Other choice is to send it Germany through the only one seller here in Poland but they want to charge about 50$ just for sending it one way (and then they can tell you that repair will cost million dollar …).

So I will appreciate if anyone could help suggesting a reasonably inexpensive and fast (DIY?) solution for this? (Atom 2.0 SN 999, firmware v. 3G, not under warranty)

Thanks
Przemek

Ouch!!!

I am professional using the Atom 2.0 wireless. The bad luck her it's that there is no warranty coverage. Where, how who you purchased it from is another issue. The error message is not a penalty or of that sort. It's a fault.

By not setting it to dive mode or anything of such will not cause the error message.

It's simply a fault malfunction that existed. The firmware of this model is not required to updated unless it's really old. Which is not the case. Removing the battery was not required as well because it's not a message of "low battery". Do you use a wireless transmitter?

When purchasing something beware...This is one of the best products in the market at the most reasonable price range and quality. This is merely bad luck!!!

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

Yeah, I used transmitter - I agree that quality price ratio seems to be great in case of Atom, but I'm really dissapointed that my dive number 5 with Atom was the last one ... now I wonder If I shoudln't have chosen Suunto... anyway maybe there is still a chnace for my Atom to revive?

The 3G firmware was a recall serveral years ago. It was replace with a upgraded firmware a month later, you should insist that they cover all charges related to having it fixed.

Back
Top Bottom