Ocean Master Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grin_eyes

Reaction score
I recently purchased Ocean Master Primero mask with purge valve, Q-Strap, and claimed by OM to be low volume, easy to clear/equalize and have wider view. OM delivered on the Q-Strap, wider view and general quality. However, I did find it terribly difficult to equalize, even w/o gloves, and clear. I tried different head angles to improve clearing, in many of them the pool (chlorine) water splashed right into my eyes, but am still unhappy.
Before I bad mouth a potentially good mask I’d like to ask whether others have similar experiences or maybe it is me… Thanks.

grin_eyes:
I recently purchased Ocean Master Primero mask ….

These are great masks. I have two questions...oK three questions.......

• What position is your head in when you purge water out of your mask and can you describe how you are doing for me?
  • How tight is the strap?
  • When you equalize, can you get a grip on your nose OK?
Thanks

No Fish:
These are great masks. I have two questions...oK three questions.......

• What position is your head in when you purge water out of your mask and can you describe how you are doing for me?
  • How tight is the strap?
  • When you equalize, can you get a grip on your nose OK?
Thanks

• I tried several positions in which the nose well is the lowest point to ensure that all the water accumulates right next to the purge valve.
  • I tried different levels of tightness since I am not used to this mask. I will admit that most times it was quite tight.
  • In order to get a decent (not perfect) grip on my nose I had to push the valve against my nose and that hurt. The answer is no.

Thanks.

grin_eyes:
  • I tried several positions in which the nose well is the lowest point to ensure that all the water accumulates right next to the purge valve.
  • I tried different levels of tightness since I am not used to this mask. I will admit that most times it was quite tight.
  • In order to get a decent (not perfect) grip on my nose I had to push the valve against my nose and that hurt. The answer is no.

Thanks.

Maybe it is not the right size for you or something, but I do think it is a good product, my wife swears by hers. She has a "groove" between her cheeks and nose that always lets a bit of water in and this mask fit the bill. After some practice, she figured out how to grip above the purge when equalizing. It never really accumulates water.

Have you tried wearing it as low as you can? I do that with my mask and find it more comfortable too. It gets your nose up a bit on the pocket and allows the bottom of the mask to fit in to the softer tissue right above your lip. You can get at your nose easier that way as you are farther from the purge. Dropping the strap position lower in the back will help this too.

Sorry for the basic first questions, but I had to start somewhere. If you throw the mask out, throw it my way. I hope this helps a bit.

These are great masks. I have several.

You can clear them (the mask) in any position. They actually clear themselves for you.

The most common mistake that students make while trying to clear a mask is to exhale too hard through their nose. That then sends the air in a jet stream under their mask and out into the pool or ocean without clearing the water from the mask.

Try exhaling more slowly. Very slowly. Very very slowly. Relax when you do it.

Chlorine in your eyes happens because there is a lot of chlorine in the pool. No way around that. Has nothing to do with the mask.

After you have learned mask clearing, the next skill is mask equalization. Same principle: slowly exhailing through your nose as you descend. The purge relieves the difficulty of exhaling into your mask, and therefore encourages you to exhale through your nose on every breath.

So inhale through your mouthpiece, exhale through your nose. Tricky, but you can learn it and it becomes natural eventually, like walking and chewing gum.

Equalizing you ears has little or nothing to do with your mask. Equalizing your ears is normally a several step process. First equalize the day before the dive. If you cannot, you have an asymptomatic viral infection, and you cant go diving. If you can, then equalize on the way to the dive site. Then equalize on the surface before you start your descent. Then equalize on your way down about every 10 or so feet.

You can pinch your nose to equalize, or swallow to equalize, or tense your neck muscles to equalize, or you can press your mask against your face with your hand and exhale through your nose to equalize. I have never had any problem with the plastic purge value on the nose getting in the way. But then I also do not grab my nose like a baseball when I am trying to equalize. :)

triton94949:
These are great masks. I have several.

You can clear them (the mask) in any position. They actually clear themselves for you.

The most common mistake that students make while trying to clear a mask is to exhale too hard through their nose. That then sends the air in a jet stream under their mask and out into the pool or ocean without clearing the water from the mask.

Try exhaling more slowly. Very slowly. Very very slowly. Relax when you do it.

Chlorine in your eyes happens because there is a lot of chlorine in the pool. No way around that. Has nothing to do with the mask.

After you have learned mask clearing, the next skill is mask equalization. Same principle: slowly exhailing through your nose as you descend. The purge relieves the difficulty of exhaling into your mask, and therefore encourages you to exhale through your nose on every breath.

So inhale through your mouthpiece, exhale through your nose. Tricky, but you can learn it and it becomes natural eventually, like walking and chewing gum.

Equalizing you ears has little or nothing to do with your mask. Equalizing your ears is normally a several step process. First equalize the day before the dive. If you cannot, you have an asymptomatic viral infection, and you cant go diving. If you can, then equalize on the way to the dive site. Then equalize on the surface before you start your descent. Then equalize on your way down about every 10 or so feet.

You can pinch your nose to equalize, or swallow to equalize, or tense your neck muscles to equalize, or you can press your mask against your face with your hand and exhale through your nose to equalize. I have never had any problem with the plastic purge value on the nose getting in the way. But then I also do not grab my nose like a baseball when I am trying to equalize. :)

No Fish, Triton

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I will definitely give the mask another chance. Maybe I do need to change the way I do things underwater, I am not too proud for that. Thanks again.

grin_eyes:
No Fish, Triton

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I will definitely give the mask another chance. Maybe I do need to change the way I do things underwater, I am not too proud for that. Thanks again.

Don't sweat changing things, it is required all of the time in my world. Different equipment or environments require different techniques. That's all, no more...no less..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom