Ocean Journey now Downtown Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knotical

perpetual student
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I finally visited Ocean Journey after it re-opened as Denver’s Downtown Aquarium.
The best news is that it’s still a good educational opportunity. To have a quality, varied aquarium this far from any Ocean is nearly priceless.

Changes I noticed on a short visit:
I only saw one otter, one tiger, and fewer sharks than before.
More places to spend money, sprinkled throughout the place.
The downstairs is dominated by the new restaurant and bar, that face on aquariums.
Admission is a few bucks less.

I’m saddened by the fiscal necessities that drove it to a more commercialized, somewhat scaled down version of its former self, but that’s a whole lot better than closing. If you’re in the area, it’s well worth a visit.

More info at: http://www.downtownaquariumdenver.com/flash_content/index.html
Also, other Scubaboard threads here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=7402
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=7587

I'm still a diver up there, so if anyone has specific questions, I may be able to answer them.

First off, they need divers! If you'd like to experience the best diving in Colorado, give them a call and find out what the process is to become a diver (I'm not up on that, having been "in the system" for almost three years as a diver, almost six as a guide).

We still have three river otters; the three sea otters were placed at other aquariums. We have many more sharks than before in the big exhibit upstairs -- "Open Blue" (the one I dive). Added recently (within the last year) two sandbar sharks and two zebra sharks. The small male zebra is extremely social and loves to snuggle up to the divers.

Plus we have new sharks in the old Sea of Cortez exhibit and new sharks in the restaurant. I have no idea how many there are off the top of my head in those two exhibits. In OB, total, there are two sand tigers, four sandbars, four zebras and, hmmm, six or seven nurse sharks.

We still have three tigers, the two brothers Bali and Java and Malu, a young female. If you only saw one tiger, that was probably Malu, who's occasionally put out alone.

Roak

Diving the aquarium would be an incredible experience. I wonder what the requirements are for being a diver there. I may give them a call.

Last time I heard the cold water exhibits required a minimum of 25 dives and 25 hours diving experience. Warm water was 100 dives and 100 hours, though after a couple months of cold water you could move to warm water.

The warm water exhibits are much more fragile than the cold water exhibits, hence the difference.

Roak

It varies form exhibit to exhibit, but for "Open Blue" which is the large pacific exhibit upstairs:

1. Put out nori for the herbivores and omnivores
2. Bottle feed the small omnivores and carnivores (chopped up fish and squid)
3. Sometimes feed the sawfish
4. Clean the intake grates
5. Siphon the bottom
6. Scrub rocks and the artificial coral
7. Clean the windows
8. Delight a ton of kids by waving at them
9. When it’s all done, look for sandbar teeth

No, we don’t get to feed the sharks. That’s done by the aquarists when there are no divers in the water! :)

Make no doubt about it, you work while you're in there, but what a place to work!

Roak

I tried to call, and was forwarded to what MUST have been a fax machine. I tried on two different days :toilet

Both Dimitri and I have filled out the online requests to sign up as volunteers, and neither of us have heard back from them. Dimitri did this several weeks ago, and my request was submitted at the beginning of last week.

Not sure how they operate, but you would think they would be jumping at the chance to have two such HIGHLY skilled people :monkeydan PAYING to work for them. Yes, paying as it will cost me $15 in gas just to drive down there :bang:

Back
Top Bottom