Ocean Frontiers Discovers "Train Wreck" Off Grand Cayman's East End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It won't be until April 2020. Gotta bounce back to Cabo Pulmo, MX first ;-)

Last 2 weeks of April for me on the East End. Was wondering if Ocean Frontiers would be diving the site in some way. Thought about contacting them to see, but then thought it really doesn't matter - I'll be diving with them no matter what sites they go to!

Last 2 weeks of April for me on the East End. Was wondering if Ocean Frontiers would be diving the site in some way. Thought about contacting them to see, but then thought it really doesn't matter - I'll be diving with them no matter what sites they go to!

me too! April 20 to 30 most likely!

me too! April 20 to 30 most likely!

Old Issacs is a shallow site and according to the article the wreck site is even shallower, but I still think that it would be interesting to see.

Steve Broadbelt from Ocean Frontiers is quoted in the excerpt below:

"...The wreck is in shallow water, close to the Old Isaac’s dive site, which is a regular stopping point for charters and lies on the south-east corner of Grand Cayman, less than a mile from Ocean Frontiers’ dock.“We must have gone past it every day without ever knowing it was there,” he said. He said it was probably too shallow to be a dive site but might make an interesting stop for snorkelling between dives."

Divers discover ‘train wreck’ off East End | Cayman Compass

The article at the link below says that you can see remnants of the phosphate mining operation along the Salt Rock Nature Trail on Little Cayman, which runs from Blossom Village to the dock.

Underwater ‘train wreck’ could be relic of phosphate mining | Cayman Compass

I have never walked the nature trail on LC but I have posted a picture of it below and it looks lovely. Maybe we will get a chance to walk the trail when we are next on the island. If not, I will make a point of checking out the section of rail currently in use as a foot rest in the bar at the Southern Cross Club!

LittleCaymanSaltRockTrail.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom