Ocean Dynamics BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was playing on eBay last night and picked up an 'Ocean Dynamics BC.' It's an add-on wing designed to be used with one of the old-style plastic backpacks.

I figured it might make a good, lightweight, pack-able travel BC for tropical areas. However, I've only been diving since '94, so haven't any experience with these type. I normally use a Zeagle Ranger back-inflate, so figure this type of wing isn't too much of a stretch from what I'm used to, but would appreciate the insight of those more knowledgeable and experienced.

Here's a link, but since it's a completed auction, you might have to sign in to eBay to follow it:

http://i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/4e/98/08_1_b.JPG

Got any recommendations on using it? Special techniques? What would you guess the lift rating to be?

Don't know if it comes with the plastic pack or not. There were only a couple of hours left on the auction, so I didn't have time to query the seller, but for <$30, I figured it didn't really matter.

It’s my understanding that this type of wing just threads onto the cam band, and is held in place by the tank. Is that correct?

Also, I believe that a lot of the old plastic packs were used with smaller diameter tanks (72 cu ft?), correct? Is it easy to find packs/cam bands that will work with an al80?

Thanks for the insight.

3dent (Trident?),

Thanks for the picture, I just saw one of those out at the quarry this weekend and was wondering what kind of wing they used. As far as availability of the the plastic back plate goes, your LDS probably has some mothballed in their basement that will fit an AL80. If you can't find them locally shoot me a PM and I will see if I can get one from my LDS, or put you in touch with them directly to have them sell you one. I am still working on getting the old salty dog that owns the place to sell me a double house regulator.

Good luck,

Mike

ClevelandDiver:
3dent (Trident?),

Yeah. Pretty cheesy, I know. And I don't even spearfish... I'm trying to come up with a new one.

ClevelandDiver:
Thanks for the picture, I just saw one of those out at the quarry this weekend and was wondering what kind of wing they used. As far as availability of the the plastic back plate goes, your LDS probably has some mothballed in their basement that will fit an AL80. If you can't find them locally shoot me a PM and I will see if I can get one from my LDS, or put you in touch with them directly to have them sell you one. I am still working on getting the old salty dog that owns the place to sell me a double house regulator.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Since that link worked, I guess I could link to the other pic, as well. This one shows the other side, and the backpack that I may have bought as well :wink: Not sure yet.

http://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/54/b6/d5_1_b.JPG

From the pic it may be missing the pull string on the lower dump. Or it could be just an OPV? We'll see when it arrives.

Just about any back pack that uses a nylon band and straps will work fine with that BC. You can pick one up new for less than $30.00. It is held in place by the band and the pressure of being squeezed between the cylinder and the back pack The design was copied from the original Scubapro rear inflation BC from the mid 70's. Similar BC's were made by all the major manufactureres back in the day. The current rear inflation models are just updated versions of the Scubapro and AtPac BC designs. Still a great inexpensive unit to use though! If the bladder leaks a little Aqua-Seal will fix you right up and the inflator is simple and easy to service.
Since one company made overpressure relief valves for a dozen or so BC companies the valve on the back may or may not have had a string for a manual deflate. 99 times out of 100 there is a hole drilled for a string and you can put it on yourself if you so desire.

Back
Top Bottom