occular herpes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceana

Reaction score
3 weeks after returning from dive trip in Manzanillo was diagnosed with occular herpes (HSV-1). Any possibility that diving exaserbated the condition to a full outbreak? Prior to dive trip had a few symptoms, weeping eye, etc. but was not having any serious symptoms or pain. Since then, the eye has healed and the opthamologist said I am good to go.

A corneal abrasion is incredibly painful - anything I should be aware of while diving with this condition? I am a newly certified O/W diver. Just completed my classroom and am planning to do my O/W's for advanced cerification in 2 weeks (Blue Hole, NM). Any advise will help.

I wont give up diving - even if I am forced to become the Sammy Davis Jr. of the dive community. lol

As you might expect, there is nothing in the literature about diving with these entities. However, common sense would dictate that it would be unwise to dive in the marine environment with open wounds of the cornea. The ocean is a veritable soup of organisms - some of which are very difficult to treat.

It is not known whether or not your herpes was worsened by diving.

Not wanting to preach to the choir - your vision is significantly more important than your diving career.

If your eye doctor has given his OK to return to diving - then you have no problem. More about eye problems and diving at http://scuba-doc.com/diveye.htm .

Back
Top Bottom