Oc Tec Mode For Recreational Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwllorens

Registered
Reaction score
Currently, the OC Tec mode allows the user to specify an alternative data display to replace the NDL display in the bottom right. This is because once the NDL has been reached, the NDL display is useless and wasting space.

I would like to point out that the deco stop displays (depth and time at next stop) are also wasted space as they are left blank before the NDL is reached.

I understand that the OC Tec mode is primarily for divers breathing helium (meaning deep dives where narcosis is a problem) and therefore NDL times are often very short and the time that the deco stop data frames are blank are also very short. But I happen to like the OC Tec layout and customization as a recreational diver.

It would make sense to me to place the NDL data frame in the upper right, and simply replace it with the deco stop depth/time frames when the NDL has been reached, since the two data frames are "mutually exclusive" and one is only relevant when the other is not. That would free up space in the bottom right of the screen, and the PPO2 data frame could be moved to this location. This leaves all three data frames in the center row open for customization. In fact, this entire customizable row could then be moved down to the bottom, leaving all the important information in the top two rows and three slots for customizable data frames in the bottom row.

Also, if anyone from Shearwater might read this, I have noticed two things. First, average depth is not available on any of the cycled data "pages" when using OC Rec mode. The only way to see average depth is to choose the max and avg depth data frame as one of the two bottom customizable displays. Second, when the screen is inverted (I like to wear the Perdix on the inside of my wrist with the battery compartment inline with the center of my forearm), viewing a dive log does NOT display the graph of time versus depth or temperature. The line representing this graph does not appear until the screen is reverted. This appears to be a bug.

Funny,... I have never used my Petrel with helium,... Only Nitrox, yet I dive it on OC Tech mode all the time, just convenient for me. I also use my 2 stand alones for technical diving. I have a 3rd that is the controller to my rebreather. I know the readings & have no problems deciphering what information I need on my dives. Average depths have extremely limited, if any uses at all, for technical divers, so is not necessary. It falls into the same category as to why there are not audible alarms or air integration.

what are you using avg depth for in recreational dive profiles? Shouldn't be difficult to make an option, but don't see how it is useful during the dive, but to each his own. Interesting on the inverted mode though.

Regarding the NDL replacing the stop time, that is something that wouldn't hurt, even when on helium, though I am willing to bet the vast majority of shearwaters see little to no helium programmed into them. It is certainly a focus of their design, and NDL's may very well have been overlooked in tec mode since most of us don't care about them, however the helium concentration doesn't really matter, just shortens the ndl's more than they are. Shearwater will read this thread though and likely respond as an fyi

That's indeed an interesting idea, to have the NDL be replaced by STOP/TIME as soon as NDL is 0. For me it makes sense.

Funny,... I have never used my Petrel with helium,... Only Nitrox, yet I dive it on OC Tech mode all the time, just convenient for me. I also use my 2 stand alones for technical diving. I have a 3rd that is the controller to my rebreather. I know the readings & have no problems deciphering what information I need on my dives. Average depths have extremely limited, if any uses at all, for technical divers, so is not necessary. It falls into the same category as to why there are not audible alarms or air integration.

How do you plan your cave dives?

Average depths have extremely limited, if any uses at all, for technical divers, so is not necessary. It falls into the same category as to why there are not audible alarms or air integration.

That's an odd statement - because I find the average depth info very beneficial when determining plans for overhead environment dives.

I use deepest depth that I will go to, of the site,.. to keep it a bit more conservative (gas & Deco planning), but generally it is the further & greater penetrations in cave, Makes it a bit more prudent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom